What's new

Best home theater audio system to buy with a low budget... (1 Viewer)

Ok, here's the deal, Christmas is coming up as you all know... My dad (Todd), as I'm sure most of you know from various threads about the 4805 and different others, is home theater crazy. Well, I have been thinking of buying him a home theater surround sound system for Christmas. We had one before we moved, but now he doesn't want to drill holes in the wall to mount the speakers because we are building another garage, and ONE day that will be our little home theater... But my question is, what is the best low budget audio system for a home theater... we already have a Zenith progressive scan DVD player and the Infocus 4805 but no home audio. I have been looking at Samsung's wireless home audio theater system, and for the price ($499.99) it doesn't seem bad. If I do decide to buy the wireless Samsung system, am I making a bad choice? Low budget I mean under $500.00...

John S

Senior HTF Member
Look at an Onkyo model 760 / 770.....

These are based around a full function AVR, highly upgradable, and quite respectable to start.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Rocket Tykes are a pretty good bang for the buck and they are on sale B stock now for $250. Pretty sweet deal for a decent and cheap 5.1 setup. You would have to mount them, but they are tiny and wouldn't mark up the walls too much.

http://www.av123.com/products_produc...k&product=38.1

After that, you can pick up a nice receiver for $250 and have it all wrapped up. Maybe a Denon 3802, HK 520, or Outlaw 1050 would fit in that budget range (models from previous years, but still mucho bang for your limited buck.)

Good luck.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The problem with wireless systems is that the back channels still have to have a power cable unless they are battery opperated. Also, wireless speakers have to have their amplification built in which means it is usually very poor. This is only for the back channels, so may not be as noticable, but still less than optimum. I would look at some of the wired HTIBs and see if you can figure out a way to run the cables perhaps around the perimeter of the room w/out them being too noticable. If not, the samsung wireless may be your only option.

SolomonP

Grip
Another thought to hide cables.... There are a number of either perfectly flat paintable cables or not too flat paintable cables (Monster Cable makes some). That'll let you go with standard speakers, but hide the wires.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Almost all of the flat wires are smaller ga. and will not work for longer runs. 20'+ is common in an average room, and that is more than 18ga. wire is good for.

Your surrounds don't need to be mounted to the walls, you can use stands.

I've heard the Onkyo setups and they are not bad for the price.

The Paradigm Cinemas are decent speakers for the price, but you will still need a receiver.

You might look into packages from www.fluance.com and www.hometheaterdirect.com, but again, you will still need to pick up a receiver.

Thanks guys... I will look into all of those. I have run across another problem, but it may not be a problem at all...When we set our projector and DVD player up to watch movies and such it is in the back of our living room (not ceiling mounted), we are tired of listening to the low audio from our Infocus 4805. IF we bought a home theater sound system, how would we arrange that set up? My dad doesn't want to put holes in the wall for the speakers, and he doesn't want very noticeable wires either. So I am at loss on how to rectify this situation. Thanks guys for all your help!! :emoji_thumbsup: :D :emoji_thumbsup:

I think that I am going to go with the Sony 800W 5.1-Ch. Home Theater System with 5-Disc Progressive-Scan DVD/CD/MP3 Player from Best Buy for $699.99. A little more than I would have hoped to spend but oh well... Here's a pic...

Sorry if you can't see the pic very well... go to Best Buy or Sony to see a better one. Thanks again guys! :D :emoji_thumbsup: :D

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
i just got the onkyo system and its incredible. I got last years model the 760 for real cheap. its a 6.1 setup, which is nice. I got it for 399.99 with free shipping. I then purchased the onkyo universal dvd player changer for 450.00 together you ve got a great system for under 1,000. of couse you can get a much cheaper dvd player, but i wanted hi-rez audio.

PS I had a sony dream system before this and hated it, the dvd player was bunk and the sound was very weak. make sure your getting a hmth that has interchangable parts. on my old sony, I could not upgrade anything. where on my new system I can change out anything I wish.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
if you dont mind hiding wires, I got the Fluance SX-HTB setup for $322. You can find plenty of great reviews for them on the forums. then you can take your extra cash and get a decent reciever.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Indeed, low budget home theater = fluance. Very good speakers for the dollars. I have the $199 Fluance AV-HTB, Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver, and Infocus X1 projector. (And a POS Sony WM20 sub to be replaced).

The Sony system is overpriced and not great quality, IMO. The Onkyo HTiB is highly recommended, if you are going the HTiB route.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D

At least Hope has come to the right place for advise.:D Im still a kid, I come here for advise daily. And anything I'd buy my parents would be better than anything they would buy themselves.

Thanks for all of your advice about the Sony's... I've decided to greatly look into the Fluances and the Onkyos...they seem like the best bet. I've also lookind into the Niros, do ya'll have any advice on that as well? Thanks a BUNCH!!! ;)

I am liking the prices that I see at Onkyos and at Fluance. Another question, would it be cheaper to buy an Onkyo HTIB or would it be cheaper to buy an Onkyo receiver and then buy speakers from Fluance? :confused:

Another question (sorry), I am interested in both the 6.1 and the 5.1 systems from Onkyo, if I went with a 5.1 system, am I missing out on anything besides the extra channel? :confused: Again!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks