Best Highlander DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Berk, May 13, 2002.

1. Berk

Berk Stunt Coordinator

Okay all of you die hard Highlander fans, I'm shopping around for the best copy of the film on DVD. My main concern is film quality and sound. Extras would be nice but not necessary.

I've read up on the different Highlander DVDs and have heard mixed reviews on the quality of the picture. I also tend to see a lot of feedback telling fans to not waste their money due to poor quality.

Any suggestions? Can "there be only one" half decent DVD copy out there?

2. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    Go with the New Anchor bay disc.

The older one from Republic/Artisan is one of the worst dvds ever made.

3. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

How is the Highlander 2: Renegade version from Artisan/Republic?

4. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

Personally i think all the Highlander movies suck big time. But that is of no importance i just felt i had to mention it. However i must say that the picture quality of the Anchor bay edition wasn't nowhere near reference quality. Haven't seen the artisan edt.

5. Michael Eriksen

Michael Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

I love the first one. And I remember the excitement before watching the second one at the theatre and the disappointment afterwards...people were actually laughing at it right after.

In my oppinion they never found the elements that made the first one speciel again.

The newest anchorbay is the one you want, its the best version I have seen + the extras are decent.

regards Michael

6. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

For visual and the correct dialogue and soundtrack. The R2 studio canal beats the new Anchor Bay.

For new audio mix, new soundtrack and missing line of dialogue with a few extras. Go for anchor bay.

I have all three DVD's and the for extras, the first release

wins. That has the laserdisc materials ported onto it minus the "3D" sword :)

basically, if you are fan you HAVE to get all 3 for all the xtras and different version. take your pick ;-)

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

8. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Thanks for the input. Your comments are very useful.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It should be mentioned that since only Highlander, Highlander: The Series, and Highlander Endgame are really canon, that the line in Highlander was removed because The Quickening became the transfer of power between immortals.

10. DannyS

DannyS Second Unit

Thanks jeff for clearing the dialogue discrepency (spelling?) up. As I have never seen the TV show I was a little unclear as to why they had removed it.

For the original version of the film though, preserving the directors/writers original version of the script/story.. It's only the R2 disc that does it.