What's new

Best HDTV (RPTV) for $1700? (1 Viewer)

My wife and I have just purchased a new home with a room destined to be my theater room. I currently have a 32" Sony WEGA that I plan to move downstairs to our great room, and will need to purchase a new TV to replace it.

I have a $1700 budget for a new TV. I've been looking at the RCA D52W15 at Best Buy, but have read mixed reviews on the unit. I'm unsure what other (better) choices are available in my price range. I plan on spending 50% of the time watching digital cable, and 50% of the time watching DVD's. I don't want a screen smaller than 46", and it needs to be a 16:9 set and be HD-ready.

Any suggestions?

Thanks is advance.

Kevin

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The biggest size Toshiba you can get. Mitsubishi ain't bad either but I think you pay more compared to a Toshiba with the same features.

Haven't heard much from Panasonic since the popular 47"er. Hopefully other members can chime in.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Well the panasonic models seem to be very popular when you are on a tight budget. Take a look at their 47wx53 and the 53wx53 models. They seem to be a very good bang for your buck type deal.

The toshibas are nice, but you will pay more for them.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I second the opinion on the Pannys. You should be able to get the 47 inch with a store service plan or 53 inch without service plan for about that much (probably a little less, in fact).

Granted, there are better TVs in terms of standard cable PQ, deinterlacers, etc, but the Pannys are a great value, especially if you get them on sale with no interest financing...I've been pretty happy with mine, considering the the great deal I was able to get.

The only downside is that the WX series sets only have DVI-HDCP (in addition to two component inputs, and three S-video inputs), which might prove to be a limitation in the future if you want to use the DVI input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks