Best HDTV RG-6(U) Cable

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Roger Eckert, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Roger Eckert

Roger Eckert Auditioning

I'm doing some rewiring of my home. Currently my home is wired for cable with RG-59. I want to purchase a quantity of high grade RG-6(U) to use for future HD cable, HD satellite, and HD open air antenna. I'd like something with a copper core (not copper clad steel), super low loss, and excellent shielding. Any thoughts on what to buy and where? I'll need 250-500 feet.
    Also, in parts of the home I'll need new phone wire run. Some phone wire will feed a dial up modem. Any thoughts on good stuff for this?
    Thanks,
    Roger

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Roger, take a look at Belden 1694A from Belden. The specs are on Belden's web site. You can get a 500 foot spool from various places on-line.

cheers,

--tom

3. Bobby C

Bobby C Stunt Coordinator

I see Beldon has several different versions of the 1694A - is 10 the suggested version?
    Thx,
    Bob

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

You want the one that has an explicit part number of '1694A'. If you go to Belden's catalog and do an exact search on that part number, you should get the listing. They have different colored jackets - the black is required if you want to run it outside since that jacket is UV resistant. That may be the '10' you're referring to.

cheers,

--tom

5. Bobby C

Tom - yes, that's it! Black is the #10. Thanks, I'm ordering 500' now!

6. Roger Eckert

Roger Eckert Auditioning

Thanks for the ideas. I checked the Belden web site. The 1694a looked very good. I also like the 1695a, especially if I end up going through any supply or return air ducts/plenums, which I hope to avoid doing. However, the insulation was a little different(teflon) and the tolerance was not as narrow as the 1694a(3 vs 1.5). Any thoughts on 1695a? Also, what's a good phone wire to run when using computer modems in the home?
    Thanks again,
    Roger

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Roger, all I know of the 1695a was that it was the plenum equivalent of the 1694a - and of course, that it is a good bit more money per foot for the plenum rated wire. If you can avoid running it through duct work or other air-moving spaces, you should be ok with the 1694A which is CL2/FT4 rated. As for phone wire, I have no direct experience with it other than what the builder put into my home and when I rewired all the outlets to support a second line. I think any CAT-3 in-wall rated phone wire will do such as the stuff that Home Depot sells. You can also use CAT-5 network cable. Depending on whether you have one or two lines, you'll only be using 2 wires per line.

--tom

8. Roger Eckert

Roger Eckert Auditioning

Tom
    I appreciate your guidance with my wiring situation. I plan on a max of 3 phone lines. I assume Cat 3 would be 3 twisted pair of a heavier gauge than my current 24/4 interior phone wire. I'll check out the Home Depot wire you mentioned this weekend.
    Also, I looked the ducting over again. I'm 90% certain I can route my wiring around the ducting, which will allow me to stick with 1694a. Now I just need a reasonable source for the 1694a.
    Roger

9. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Roger, thanks, but I'm by no means an expert. [​IMG] I did recently rewire my first floor with the Belden 1694a putting a cable drop into all 4 rooms and the unfinished basement - I basically had previously used a hodge-podge of cable, so I wanted to finally do it "right" as well as run cable back from my distribution point to the RG59 that the builder ran for the upstairs rooms which I had never done. I have a slightly oddball setup where my cable for my tvs is distributed centrally from my den/home theater room where my TIVO is located. I use a Channelplus 3025 box to modulate the TIVO onto a special in-house channel and then send that plus the regular cable channels out to all the tvs.

Unless you're experiencing problems with your modem now, the new phone wire probably won't be any better than the stuff your builder ran. But if you want to have 3 phone lines all come to one central point, then it may be efficient to run 4 pair cat5 network cable - Belden makes this as well as regular telephone cable. The cat5 cable is meant for Ethernet computer networks. If you were thinking of wiring your house for a home network then it would probably be advantageous to also use this for phone lines - since you could buy it in bulk and use it for both. It may still make sense since you could use 3 of those 4 pairs to run 3 phone lines. A lot of this depends on how your house is currently setup and where the phone service is distributed from. For example, in my house, the phone lines are daisy-chained like an old thin-net coaxial network. So, for me to add another phone drop would be a pain since there is no centralized switch where I could simply plug in another run. Luckily, we have more than enough phone jacks.

Check out the Belden cable catalog and do a search for 'telephone' or 'cat5' and see the various products that they offer. I mentioned Home Depot since they will also carry telephone cable in bulk as well as cat5 cable. But if you're thinking of picking up the belden 1694a then it may be more efficient to also order the telephone cable from the same place as the 1694a.

good luck,

--tom

10. Bobby C

Roger,
    I don't know if there are better prices, but I just ordered a 500' roll of 1694A from Tri State Electronics (www.tselectronic.com) for $131 + $18 shipping. FWIW, I got it in black, it is rated for exterior use (UV protection).

Bob