What's new

Best HDTV less then 34.5 Inches wide? (1 Viewer)

Westly T

Second Unit
Is there any resource that will search for a TV based on size of the cabinet?
So far I've only found 2 CRT type that will fit, both 30" units:

Toshiba 30HF85 at 31.36"
Samsung TX-R3080WH at 31.3"

I've been searching for a new HDTV to replace my Panasonic 32, but the cabinet it must fit into is only 34.5 inches wide and some trim on the front makes it only 33 inches wide on the very front. The TV could be placed in from the back so the maximum size would be the 34.5.

I've also seen some LCD based units that are 32", but most I've seen have a lot of artifacts and other issues especially with lower resolution sources. I think that will bother me more then the flicker of a CRT and the CRT's tend to cost a lot less with a better picture. Since it's going in a cabinet, the extra size of the CRT will not matter. I do hate to go smaller, I was really hoping for a 34", but even the Toshiba 34 is too bit to fit at a bit over 35" wide.

Any suggestions or comments on the above units are welcomed!

Westly T

Second Unit
Ok, there have to be more and someone who knows something about these models? I was refered to an additional model on another site:

JVC AV-30W776 at 33.25"

Toshiba 30HF85 at 31.36"
Samsung TX-R3080WH at 31.3"

So now there are three choices, any others or thoughts on these models?

Westly T

Second Unit
I spent some quality time with the Samsung and have to say I was not impressed. It was pretty much the worst picture in the place, not even close to the Sony CRT or LCD models. Poor alignment, dingy whites, utter lack of detail, poor blacks, just not impressive at all. The salesman thought it might be just that unit so we pulled out a new one and it was not much better. He gave me a price of $838 on it, but I think I will postpone my upgrade if this is the best i can do. I keep thinking how much more the other sets cost, but doubt I will be happy with this unit.

I cannot find any local shop or store that carries the JVC and I really don't like to order a TV over the web that I’ve never seen. JVC was no help and one shop tried to order one for me and was told they had to order at least 15 at a time. Other local shops said JVC really doesn't want to do business with smaller companies and since the big guys like Circuit City and Best Buy have chosen not to carry this model, I guess that's why you don't see JVC CRT's around.

I still can look at the Toshiba, but at a glance it didn't look overly impressive either.

Chris Hopper

Agent
I am having the same trouble with entertainment center sizes. So far the TV I have been most impressed with is the Sony KDL-V32XBR1. It is a 31.81 inch wide 32 inch tv. I have found others, but the picture on this set is amazing. The best price I have found is about $1800 online, but I am hoping for a holiday price drop. For the features it is well worth the price. It has great standard definition picture correction which made a standard signal look phenomenally better than any of the other competing LCD and even CRT HD's in my opinion. It also had the VGA input so it can be used as a PC moniter. Hope I have helped because I had to go through a process to find it myself. As far as online dealers go, I wouldn't be really worried about it. Consumer Reports gives better ratings to Amazon and other online stores than Circuit City, Best Buy or Wal-Mart for TV purchases.

Westly T

Second Unit
I've come to about the same place as you, but found it's brother, the KLV-S32A10 at Costco for $1668. They have a return policy that if you're not happy you can return it as long as you are a member, so I'm gonna give it a try. I do like your model a little better but since I must have a DVR, the cable ready feature doesn't help much. I just found a new Sharp model at Frys with speakers on bottom too and it also has the cable ready tunner. It is several hundred less the the Sony XBR and seemed to do better with dark passages and low res images, but not as bright or sharp.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Chris:

The new Sony XBR's are AMAZING. I would totally recommend those to anyone.

However, I hope the TV will not load bad code into your directory :p

Chris Hopper

Agent
Is using a cable box/dvr on a TV with a built in tunner like the one the XBR has going to create conflicts or problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks