What's new

Best HDTV for videogame/DVD playing and watching? (1 Viewer)

IanGuag

Auditioning
I am currently in the market for a new TV and I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to answer a few questions for me, and give me a bit of advice. I’ve been using a 36’’ Sony Wega (not HD) for about the last 4 years. I got it when they were still fairly new to the market, and I have been very happy with it. However, it is certainly time for me to upgrade. What I am looking to get is a 16:9 HDTV, and I am currently leaning toward two very different models:

The Panasonic PT-47WX52 (47’’ 16:9 RPTV)

And the Sony KV-34XBR800 (34’’ 16:9 Direct View)

I mostly use my home theater for videogames and DVD. I rarely watch TV, and even when I do, the picture quality of television is much lower on my priority list than the former things mentioned. Is there any advice someone could give me about what I should choose? I am open to any and all suggestions, and am not limited to the models above. I have also been considering the 40’’ Wega, but I really do prefer widescreen and ultimately would rather go that way.

I’ll give a bit more information my usage and priorities. I am an avid videogame player. I have all the systems, and they are all connected to my current TV using component video. However, many new games are supporting HD and progressive scan (which I do not have), and look just dynamite when displayed in these modes. Of the two models I am considering, I realize that the Sony 34’’ will undoubtedly have a better picture when playing high res videogames. But it is so much smaller than the Panasonic and costs about $600 more. Picture quality is my number one priority (especially with games), but I would be lying if I said that size doesn’t matter. Especially considering that the 34’’ would be even smaller than what I am used to (much smaller when in 4:3 mode). I do watch a lot of DVD’s as well, and the bigger screen would certainly be a better choice for movie watching. So I guess one of my questions is will there be a big enough difference in picture quality between the RPTV and the Direct View to warrant going with the smaller more expensive TV? I must admit that I am leaning quite a bit toward the Panasonic. Even though videogames are my top priority, movies are a close second. So unless the Sony’s picture quality on games is noticeably better, at this point I’m inclined to pass on it. Any help on this dilemma of mine would be greatly appreciated, and if anyone knows of any other factors I way not be considering, please let me know.

Thank you so much,
Ian G.

Rick Radford

Supporting Actor
Ian,

You will likely have screen burn problems with the RPTV and your usage. Check into the current Samsung DLP and Phillips LCoS (reflective technolgies with no burn-in problems).

The price ain't cheap, but I think these are the coming things to watch for.

Check out the Sammy with a DVI hookup. You will not look back. (43, 46, 50, 56 and 61 inch screens)

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator
Ian,

I recommend you read the Merged Burn-in Thread first, before proceeding any further.

It is a concern, as Rick has said, and an RPTV would be more susceptible to burn-in over a direct view, but as long as you have the contrast cranked down when playing, you should be fine. If you are still concerned, pop by the Video Game forum here and ask around.

As for your original question, I would definitely go with the Panny. I have the Panny PT47WX42 myself, and I play games on it. The picture quality is much, much improved over a NTSC direct-view I used to play on, and it's hard not to love the size. Go with the Panny, you won't regret it. Just crank down the contrast before playing games. You can compensate by cranking up the brightness.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand it should be noted that HTF members who play video games on their primary displays are experiencing burn-in issues even after their sets have been ISF-calibrated. Video games really push CRTs to their limits and age TVs in dog years. If you could afford it, I would recommend a display for your video games and a much nicer display for enjoying home theater.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
I would go with the Sony KV-34XBR800 since it accepts 720p inputs and the panny does not. I know tony hawk 4 and world series baseball 2003 have 720p output and the xbox cannot upconvert it to 1080i.

chris_clem

Second Unit
Just a semi-related question....

are there any adverse consequences to prolonged video game playing on FPs? (DLP or LCD and if either is more at risk...):)

IanGuag

Auditioning
Thank you all so much for the input. It has helped me a great deal. After considering the advice and issues that were raised, I have decided to go with the Panny. I just feel that there is not going to be enough of a difference in picture quality to warrant the smaller size and bigger price of the Sony. However, I am going to get the PT-47WX53 instead, because it supports 720p.

As far as burn-in is concerned, I don’t really consider it to be much of a worry. To be honest, I believe the whole issue has been blown way out of proportion. Years ago when I was a student and living at home, my parents bought a Hitachi Ultravision 50’’ RPTV. That TV had countless hours of videogame play racked up on it for many years, and never had any problem what so ever with burn-in. Also, I have many friends who have had various models of RPTV’s and have never experienced burn-in from games, Tivo, network logo’s, etc. I know I may sound a bit naïve, but until either I experience this problem myself, or I know someone who has, I’m just not going to be that concerned about it. I do have one question though. Are the newer HDTV RPTV’s more susceptible to burn-in than older non HD models (like the Ultravision I spoke of). Because if this is the case than I probably need to reconsider my stance. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure burn-in will not be a problem for me, as my frequency of game playing now is no where near as high as it was when I was using the Ultravision.

Anyway, thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it. If any one thinks I am making a mistake in my choice, please let me know. I’m still not getting the TV for a few weeks, and I remain open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
-Ian G.

Rob_V

Agent
I would go with the Sony KV-34XBR800 since it accepts 720p inputs and the panny does not. I know tony hawk 4 and world series baseball 2003 have 720p output and the xbox cannot upconvert it to 1080i.
There are A LOT of Xbox games that are 720p and not 1080i. Make sure the set either does 720p, or at least upconverts it to 1080i.

Krystian C

Stunt Coordinator
There are A LOT of Xbox games that are 720p and not 1080i. Make sure the set either does 720p, or at least upconverts it to 1080i.
Not A LOT at all, more like hardly any. In the entire Xbox libray there are 7 games that support 720p, and of those 7, 3 of them support 1080i. So you will be getting the benifit of a grand total of 4 games in 720p exclusively currently and 1 more coming this summer (Soul Caliber II) Which also possibly supports 1080i from what I hear.

dan fritzen

Second Unit
Not A LOT at all, more like hardly any. In the entire Xbox libray there are 7 games that support 720p, and of those 7, 3 of them support 1080i. So you will be getting the benifit of a grand total of 4 games in 720p exclusively currently and 1 more coming this summer (Soul Caliber II) Which also possibly supports 1080i from what I hear.
What I meant was that most of the HD games are in 720p and not 1080i.

Rick Mach

Auditioning
Well I am not sure the PT-47WX53 supports 720p on the component video inputs. I have one and the manual lists that it is for the following models: PT-56TW53, PT-53TW53, PT-56WX53, PT-53WX53, PT-47WX53, PT-47WX53, PT-47WXC53, PT-47WX33, PT-4743.

On the feature chart it list Digital scan rate for all sets to be 1080i, 480p.

In the STB/DVD component hookup sections the manual says: "The television is capable of displaying 1080i and 480p DTV signals ..."

In the DVI input connection section, it states: "The DVI/HDCP input is designed for best performance with HDTV signals, such as 1080i or 720p picture signals."

This makes it appear that the set only supports 720p on DVI which would make it not work with X-Box 720p unless X-BOX supports DVI/HDCP (I thought it used analog component.). I don't have a source of 720p to verify if this is true as my STB outputs 1080i. Any other definitive answers are appreciated.

Sam Pat

Stunt Coordinator
Jack,

How is playing video games more stressful to the CRTs than say, watching cartoons? If the Contrast is cranked down, where's the harm?

I'm asking because I seriously don't know, not because I think you're incorrect and asking rhetorically.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Games have a greater tendency to keep image features fixed onto a portion of the screen. Things like score counters, icons, etc. which stay in one position wear down the phosphor at that spot. Normal video will usually vary its content so the wear is more even and doesn't leave visible markings. Very bright station "bugs" and things like CNN news crawls are also prime risks for burn-in.

Keeping the contrast down, slows the process, but the temptation is always to go for a brighter and more dynamic image instead of a dim one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks