Best HDTV for NTSC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Driscoll, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Aug 1, 2000
    Almost all the HDTV sets, 16:9 and 4:3, look great with an HDTV source and/or a progressive DVD input. That works fine for me, but my wife's favorite shows are all standard 4:3 broadcast TV and she loves old movies, many from the '30s and '40s, that were originally filmed in 4:3 format. She doesn't have any problem with me getting an HD capable TV, but she has made it clear it had better display standard NTSC signals and those old movies on VHS tapes at least close to good as our 35" Mitsubishi tube or there will be no new TV for yours truly! [​IMG]
    So, what HD capable set does the best job handling NTSC sources while still delivering great video from digital sources? My upper size limit is probably 55"-60" for a 4:3 display, 46"-55" for a 16:9 screen, but 55" would be a real squeeze. My preference is for 16:9, but since about 80% of our current viewing is standard/digital cable, a 4:3 set is worth considering. Suggestions? TIA [​IMG]
  2. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Oct 25, 2000
    I have the Sony 53HS10, which is a 4:3 HD-Ready set. It uses DRC as a line-doubler, which is a very very good adaptive de-interlacing scheme - It does not however, have 3-2 pulldown detection - The newer HS30's will. DRC can be set to output 960i and 480p for all 480i sources(through the service menu). It has v-compression for anamorphic DVD's (480i/p), making it just like a widescreen set, with all the added resolution (33%), and accepts 1080i/540p HDTV signals via HD component or RGBHV inputs. It's the best of both worlds in my opinion.
    The only faults I've found with the set is that it only has one input that accepts 480p/1080i (Video5). Unfortunately, this input is the ONLY one that has the V-compression, which means that if you want to take advantage of anamorphic DVD (480i or 480p) and HDTV, you're going to need a switcher of some sort (component switching via a receiver for example).
    The HS10 can be had for very cheap now (I've heard of someone getting it for ~$1,700!!). The newer HS30's come out this fall, and will have 3-2 pulldown detection built-in to the DRC chipset, as well as TWO HD-component inputs. I think they're supposed to retail for about $2,800 (53") and $3,200 (61") - Which means you can problably find them cheaper on the net.
    Good luck!
    -Ryan Dinan