Best HDTV for me?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark:F, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

I'd appreciate feedback, here's my situation-
    The TV will be in a corner, plenty of room behind. HDTV and DVD usage will be apx 50% and rising. TV can't be silver color, black or woodgrain is fine. My priority is picture quality, for now and long term. ( I'm an old fart...HDTV will replace 15 year old Toshiba, which goes to the rec room...just replaced a 20 year old Proton! TV in the bedroom with the Sony KV-24FV300, very happy with it)
    Need a new DVD player too...needs to play all the usual formats and double as a multi-disc CD player ...would like SACD capability too. Will pay top dollar for all this.
    From CNET, Epinions, and this forum, I've tentatively decided on the soon to be released Sony KV-34XBR910 16:9 for $2500 and the Panasonic DVD F85S-DVD changer for apx $140-150.
    I just saw that Panasonic and Pioneer do DVD audio, while Sony and Philips do SACD. Not a biggie, so forget my previous requirement for SACD.
    Update- do I want HDCP compatibility?

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    hi Mark

Im confused, but this happens regularly to me.

Why not break down your questions and ask each of them in the appropriate area on the Forum. You will get much better responses this way.

BTW, the 34" sony is a very nice tube.

Regards

Gregg

3. Mark:F

Greg,
    Thanks for the help...thought I might be setting a record for views with no responses!
    Mark

4. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Hey! The 'Cuse is in the house, OMG, MG! Good luck in your search fellow CNYer!

5. dan fritzen

dan fritzen Second Unit

6. Mark:F

Tom, maybe see you at Cosmos some time, I do breakfast there for 30+ years, usually got a railroad engineer hat on.
    Dan, good point..from CNET's and SONYSTYLE pics it could have been all black...but I saw a magazine pic and it's 2 tone as you said...I'll likely go with the Sony, won't look too garish backed into a corner.