What's new

Best HDTV for me? (1 Viewer)

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
I'd appreciate feedback, here's my situation-
The TV will be in a corner, plenty of room behind. HDTV and DVD usage will be apx 50% and rising. TV can't be silver color, black or woodgrain is fine. My priority is picture quality, for now and long term. ( I'm an old fart...HDTV will replace 15 year old Toshiba, which goes to the rec room...just replaced a 20 year old Proton! TV in the bedroom with the Sony KV-24FV300, very happy with it)
Need a new DVD player too...needs to play all the usual formats and double as a multi-disc CD player ...would like SACD capability too. Will pay top dollar for all this.
From CNET, Epinions, and this forum, I've tentatively decided on the soon to be released Sony KV-34XBR910 16:9 for $2500 and the Panasonic DVD F85S-DVD changer for apx $140-150.
I just saw that Panasonic and Pioneer do DVD audio, while Sony and Philips do SACD. Not a biggie, so forget my previous requirement for SACD.
Update- do I want HDCP compatibility?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hi Mark

Im confused, but this happens regularly to me.

Why not break down your questions and ask each of them in the appropriate area on the Forum. You will get much better responses this way.

BTW, the 34" sony is a very nice tube.

Regards

Gregg

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
Thanks for the help...thought I might be setting a record for views with no responses!
Mark

dan fritzen

Second Unit
TV can't be silver color, black or woodgrain is fine
As Gregg already pointed out that is a nice set, but the 34XBR910 has black in front and silver on the sides, not sure if that is a deal breaker for you. Personally I don't care what color it is but make it one solid color.

Stunt Coordinator
Tom, maybe see you at Cosmos some time, I do breakfast there for 30+ years, usually got a railroad engineer hat on.
Dan, good point..from CNET's and SONYSTYLE pics it could have been all black...but I saw a magazine pic and it's 2 tone as you said...I'll likely go with the Sony, won't look too garish backed into a corner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks