Best HDTV for $3K ????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RickMel, Jun 17, 2002.

1. RickMel

RickMel Extra

I've done a lot of shopping and have not been able to make a decision so I'm asking for opinions....

Some background.... I will be watching DVD's 20% and standard def satellite the rest of the time - though I'd also like to go into HD OTA and/or HD satellite quickly.

I don't mind starting out with standard def on an HD capable set and pay a bit more for a high quality and add the tuner later.

Having said that... which 16:9 HDTV 55" or bigger(HDTV ready or integrated tuner) is best for $3000 street?

I know that it depends a lot on personal preference but what is the general opinion? I also know that a lot of manufacturers will have new models out soon with DVI and IEEE or both. Which should I be looking at? I am considering Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Pioneer, and Sony. I'm limiting it to just those makes. Adding more makes it more confusing !!!!

Thoughts ?????

2. Todd Wall

Todd Wall Auditioning

KP57HW40 Sony. This is the one i'm looking to purchase. It looks pretty awesome in the store. It's around 2700.

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

General opinion is that Pioneer handles standard def better than the others. If you're going to be watching that much sat you might want to look at it.

4. Terry L.

Terry L. Auditioning

Im looking at the sony 57 also,but have heard people say new models coming out soon, is this for sure? whats
    dvi and ieee?
    Terry

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Here is my opinion on the fallowing sets,

Pioneer
    Toshiba
    Sony
    Mits

Good luck on what ever you decide.

6. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

_All_ of the sets have strengths, and all of the sets have weaknesses. A lot may depend upon your own situation. Do you like to tweak? Does the service menu scare the pants off of you? Will you calibrate, using perhaps the Avia DVD? Are you limited by installation problems? What will be your signal source(s)? How discriminating a viewer are you (I tend to be very picky about my video and my sound, and often curse projectionists in movie theaters.

Quick (rough) opinions:

Pioneer: a bit overpriced, but the Elite series may be the best of the lot. Many state it handles analog signals (480i) better than others. It may look better "out of the box." Some red push.

Mitsubishi: "Red push" is the biggest problem. It is easily correctible on SOME sets. On others, it can be tricky to correct. _IF_ you are going to correct this, and tweak it, and especially if you are going to have it calibrated, many of the pros claim it will eventually give the best image of them all. If not, the image is still good, but sunburned faceswill be there. Larger ones can break into 2 pieces, for easier installs.

Toshiba: Ghosting is the biggest problem. Other than that, this is a very highly rated brand. (#2 in one major mag).

Sony: Needs tweaking, all of the way around. Some red push. Other problems...

I was aware of the "red push," and I love to tweak, so I went with the Mits. From what I read, the ghosting on the Tosh is not easy to correct (if it can be corrected).

My own opinion, based on all of my research: Do NOT judge on the basis of the image you see in the showrooms. This should probably be the last thing to base your decision on. Each model has preset the image so it will SELL. This is (ironically) NOT a good image to try to watch day after day. It is unnatural, not what the director intended, and may ruin your $3000 investment. If you run it the way it is preset, you may experience all sorts of problems (including premature burning out of the guns, and a significant possibility of "burn in." First thing to remember: Don't buy a floor model (generally, as it may be ruined already), and turn the contrast way down as soon as you take delivery.

Also, note: the signal in the showroom is most often completely different than what you will experience in your home. (Sometimes much better, sometimes much worse). And, even the salesman may often not know how they have really achieved that signal (I found one set daisy-chained off of the "output" jacks on the back of another set. The salesman could not believe it when he saw it.)

Read, research, visit the forums (there are some which almost specialize in big screen RPTV, which this one does not), do searches, make lists, take your time.

Also, do not be afraid to deal. I played three stores off of each other, and bought where I wanted, at the price I wanted (a Tweeter price match, $2600 for a Mitsubishi 65 inch (WS 65819) which was on "sale" for $3600, 3299, and $3450 at the 3 stores).

These are just my opinions, based on my own research. I realize everyone's situation is NOT identical to mine.

Best of luck.

-Bruce

7. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Bruce,

__________________________________________________ _________
    Sony: Needs tweaking, all of the way around. Some red push. Other problems...
    __________________________________________________ _________

What other problems are there with the Sonys?

8. Lee Petty

Lee Petty Stunt Coordinator

im going with a sony kp51hw40, which is an hdtv ready set, but is only 51". the kp57hw40 is an identical set, except it is a 57". i have seen this set in numerous stores, and imo has the best picture quality next to the other brands i have seen. the 57 can be had for about $2800 at most stores, cheaper on the net.

9. BruceSpielbauer

BruceSpielbauer Second Unit

Someone asked me what I meant by "other problems" with Sony RPTVs. For starters, there is what Sony owners are calling "the flicker problem." On some sets, it is very annoying on darker scenes. Others report it infects all scenes, regardless, on their sets. I just recently read about a hundred posts on this topic, in several different threads at another forum (I do not know if I am allowed to mention other forums names, so I will not). To date, Sony is recommending replacement of something called a "D Board." It may be a voltage problem. However, some users are reporting that a Sony tech did this, and this fix did NOT work at all. It is still a mystery, as near as I can tell.

There are a few others (problems). A lot of reports of "lens striping," which shows up mostly on black and white source material. Agaion, though, they all have quirks. I am NOT Sony bashing, at all. My best advice is to read what current owners of the sets have to say... and not to base the decision on what is seen in some showroom.

-Bruce

10. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

11. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Rick

The only lab tested widescreen that delivered a very good picture with standard definition sources is the Pioneer 533. I know you said 55 but I'd rather be sure about the set (53") than gamble with an unknown larger model.