best hdtv antenna?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Frank joe, Jan 2, 2005.

1. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

ok i have the new hdtv with built in tuner. i have the satellite company sending me the new reciever but they dotn broadcast my local channels in hdtv. so my question is what is the best hdtv outdoor antenna ???????????
    frank.

2. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

It all depends on where you are relative to the transmitter. Since I am within 40 miles of my local transmission tower, I use a simpe UHF antenna and have had no problems.

Take a look here:

http://www.channelmaster.com/home.htm

I am using the 3021, and it is also inexpensive.

John

3. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Frank, you may be able to get by with an indoor antenna. Go to Antennaweb.org and put in your address. You'll be told how far you are from transmitters, what antenna strength you need, and what stations you can pick up, digital and analog. You can't go wrong with a Winegard or Channelmaster outdoor antenna.

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

For un-amplified in-door antennas, I haven't found anything that beats the RS Double Bow-Tie. It's even better with the balun mod.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Why does everything have to be "the best"?

There are umpteen excellent antennas available, just as with any other piece of hardware. You have to decide what's best for you. Most likely any number of them will work fine.

Go to www.antennaweb.com to get an idea of what kind of antenna you will need and what channels you might get. I am using two Channel Master 4221A antennas and I'm happy with them.

6. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I completely agree that there is no one best antenna. After just recently upgrading my OTA receiver from a Samsung TIR-151 to a TIR-451, I discovered the Jensen TV-940 antenna I was using with the TIR-151 was no longer the best choice. My second antenna was a Zenith Silver Sensor, which I auditioned with the TIR-151, but it definitely was not as strong and consistent as the Jensen at pulling in and holding a signal. For some reason, the Silver Sensor is now the best performer with the new receiver.

There are so many variables that effect reception that I just don't think you can be certain one antenna will out-perform another... unless you actually try one against another.