What's new

Best HDTV 65' have $5000 to spend. (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Well I originally was going to get the Tosh65' but I want to go that extra mile. What set would make my HT shine?

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
A Pioneer Elite PRO-720HD would be just outside your price range (by about $1000). Their PRO-620HD would not be.

However, because size does matter, check out their non-Elite SD-643HD5. A very, very nice TV IMHO.

Mitsubishi's Diamond-line is also in that price range.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
You can still get that extra mile out of the Toshiba if you get it professionally calibrated and you would have some money left over.

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator
Get the Tosh, tweak the heck out of it, then have the ISF guy come in and do a FULL calibration with all the extras...
The tweaks and cal will give you that $10,000 picture. :)

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I second what Aaron has to say. When people are spending over 2K, WHY would they get a TV? (Not commited to HT I guess)

Clay Autery

Stunt Coordinator

That's a divisive comment and smacks of elitism... There are lots of reasons "WHY" people choose TVs over front projection. And most of them have absolutely nothing to do with being [sic] "commited" to HT.

Frankly, I don't think you could get even CLOSE to the picture quality I have right now with an FPTV setup costing only $2K... used OR new components.

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
I second what Aaron has to say. When people are spending over 2K, WHY would they get a TV? (Not commited to HT I guess)
I think MOST people on this website are "commited" to HT. I doesn't make a difference if we have a projection, tube or whatever kinda of T.V. Not everybody has the room or the budget for a HT room that they can make almost totally dark. (Most of us have wifes also)
But to get back the subject, If I were in your shoes Joel I would go with the regular line of Pioneers~~~~ http://ww2.onecall.com/PID_12733.htm
It is 3600 total. That leaves you plenty for a professional calibration and an extended warranty. If you like the Tosh it is a very nice set also just spend the dough to get it calibrated.

WHY would they get a TV? (Not commited to HT I guess)
Larry I don't feel that my 65" Toshiba is a "TV". If you have ever taken the time to look(if you do care at all about home theater)you would see that rear projectors have the same type of tubes as a front projector.

A tv is someting that sets on the counter in my kitchen. A rear projection set is something to be proud to have in your home and should not be looked down on by you or anyone else.

I'm curious, does this type of comment make you feel superior to us poor, stupid rear projection set owners?

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
And remember, not all of us have unfinished basements, or extra bedrooms, or a lot of square footage to setup a projector and screen. That doesn't mean we aren't serious about the home theater experience.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
If you have ever taken the time to look(if you do care at all about home theater)you would see that rear projectors have the same type of tubes as a front projector.
If you're talking about your typical 7" CRT based RPTV, I got to disagree with you. Your typical front projector is a very very different animal. However, if you're talking about a RPTV based on 9" tubes like the Philips 65" mentioned above or the Mitsubishi Diamond 73" (none of the smaller ones have it), then you're right. The 9" CRT's on those machines will give you a front projector quality picture.

However, I do agree completely with the sentiment. RPTV and FPTV both have their place in HT, just like plasma units.

alfonso raman

Auditioning
the elites kill the xbr's mitsubishi's and toshibas and any digital display (plasma, lcd, dlp) get an elite and enjoy

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
I think 'not commited to hometheather' means not JUST for HT. As in something that will be in a living room and used for regular TV viewing. If the overwelming use of it is for HT, you ought to find some way to make at FP. If it's used quite a bit for casual TV viewing too, then perhaps not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks