best HD 50" plasma recommendation

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Gareth, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Gareth

Gareth Stunt Coordinator

I have decided to get a 50" plasma. But now I'm doing the research on which one is the best and there is very little research out there. Samsung just got bought by Sony (rumour) and I've seen there stuff (very nice). It seems the Fujitsu is the nicest all around. Black levels are good. Panasonics are better, but they threw in the tuner and speakers which most of us don't need anyway for our HT's. I'm all ears as to what you guys think.

Thanks,
    Gareth

2. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Hey Gareth,

Sounds like you have done a bunch of research. The 50" plasmas are super duper. Personally, I looked at the smaller sizes and like the Panasonics. The NEC's are also very close to the Panny's.

If you have not been there already, try AVS as they have a major thread on the subject.

Much Luck,
    Charles

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=40

3. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

I don't think Samsung was bought by Sony. Samsung is a Korean company and Sony is a Japanese company. If you know anything about the history of the two countries. And the size of Samsung then I'd say this rumor is totally false.

I have a friend who installs a lot of Plasma TVs and the three he sees as the best looking are Panasonic and Sony and Marantz. A 50" is in the $10k range from what I've looked at and IMO still too much money. Have you considered going DLP or a LCD projection? For 10K you could do some great things with a projection setup compared to plasma.