best graphics card for a workstation-slash-gaming

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brice, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

any suggestions... not too expensive either please... I am just trying to find something that I can use that will work very efficiently with Maya, Lightwave, or 3dMax but will also be able to play games (doesn't have to be super pretty though) if I wanted too. I am wondering this because some workstation graphics cards are only for stictly that, work, and don't work at all for gaming... any thoughts? thanks...

ready... ....

go![​IMG]

-Brice

2. Kevin-M

Kevin-M Agent

Hmmm, cost issues really cut down on your choices. The fact that you want to play games means you're pretty much stuck with either an nVidia or ATI card.

personally, I run an ATI "All-In-Wonder Radeon 9700 Pro". It's damn fast in games, and it's performance in Max is exceptional. nVidia's top of the line offerings would be equally as good(but look for something with the same video connectivity as the All In Wonder).

I'd check eBay and find the best card by either manufacturer that fits your budget.

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

for workstation? id say nvidia fx500. not too expensive, can do workstation level jobs, and play games at the same time.