Best Generic Sound Effect

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Gotta be the generic "fall" sound. From Luke Skywalker to Charlie Brown, everybody makes use of this vintage of cinema. [​IMG]
    A close second is the "YA HOO HOO HOO" sound made by Goofy when he falls.

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Fire or explosions!

3. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I actually like the old "thunder" sound effects. Now movie makers are actually trying to record real thunder and for some reason it doesn't seem as realistic to me. Go figure.

Jon

4. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

There is a very old sound clip of a "Male Scream" that goes back as far as King Kong 1933 (The killer Bronto that kills men in the water & the sequence where Kong shakes men off the log) that is recycled over & over in hundreds of films over the years. From Ray Harryhausen to the Star Wars films to 007 & Steven Spielberg it has been around the block & back again.
    P.S. I am not sure if this was made for King Kong or if it is older than that but you know it when you hear it.

5. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

6. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I really can't stand sound effects that are just pulled out of a library and used over and over and over and over again!
    One such sound can be heard at the end of 'Halloween' when Michael gets shot by Loomis and he falls off of the balcony and when he hits the ground he makes that silly Wile E Coyote sound that just inspires laughter in me everytime I watch that film.
    Another sound that is very irritating is the sounds they use for cats meowing in films, you can obviously tell they use that same sound in just about every film that features a cat.
    Car horns are another, especially that long drawn out horn, it goes something like HONKHOOOOOOOOONK. It was featured most prominantly in 'Speed'.
    I always prefer that filmmaker and sound designers create new sounds never heard before, it just makes a film come to life better I think.

7. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

One annoyance is the "whoosh" sound effect from the end of DOOM 2 that turns up in 80-90% of today's action movies.

8. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

My personal favorite is how, whenever somebody is playing a video game in a movie, be it on a Colecovision, Game Boy, or Xbox, the sound effects will be taken from the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man.

9. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I've noticed that "door opening" sound from Perfect Dark was used in X-men and now several other films.

10. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Speaking of door sounds, the big door sound from ALIENS seems to be very popular.

11. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Gun shot would be my pick.

Brent L

12. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    What about that generic belch you hear in a lot of films and cartoons, even cropped up in Star Wars and Indiana Jones?

My favorite belch is Barney's in the Simpsons, also Robby the Robot had a good loud belch in Forbidden Planet.

POSTED BY BELCHING STEVE C.

13. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Other Doom effects that I hear constantly:

- Door open sound

- BFG sound

14. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

Another irritating sound effect is the "Kid's giggling" effect, which is normally used when a group of kids start running around. It was used TWICE in one scene of "Star Wars Episode One" in the SAME scene, and used very poorly in "Rumble In The Bronx" and has been in many recent forgettable films.
    As for the best sound effect, I like any punch sound effect. They can never make it sound realistic, but damn it's funny to watch them try. [​IMG]
    Jay

15. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

As much as what I hate to say it, fingernails scraping against a chalkboard. There is that high pitched screeching sound that you never will forget.