What's new

Best Generic Sound Effect (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Gotta be the generic "fall" sound. From Luke Skywalker to Charlie Brown, everybody makes use of this vintage of cinema. :D
A close second is the "YA HOO HOO HOO" sound made by Goofy when he falls.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I actually like the old "thunder" sound effects. Now movie makers are actually trying to record real thunder and for some reason it doesn't seem as realistic to me. Go figure.

Jon

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
There is a very old sound clip of a "Male Scream" that goes back as far as King Kong 1933 (The killer Bronto that kills men in the water & the sequence where Kong shakes men off the log) that is recycled over & over in hundreds of films over the years. From Ray Harryhausen to the Star Wars films to 007 & Steven Spielberg it has been around the block & back again.
P.S. I am not sure if this was made for King Kong or if it is older than that but you know it when you hear it.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Gotta be the generic "fall" sound. From Luke Skywalker to Charlie Brown, everybody makes use of this vintage of cinema
You mean the "OOF" sound effect. It seems to be used alot in WB films, like Enter The Dragon, and Blazing Saddles, and Looney Tunes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I really can't stand sound effects that are just pulled out of a library and used over and over and over and over again!
One such sound can be heard at the end of 'Halloween' when Michael gets shot by Loomis and he falls off of the balcony and when he hits the ground he makes that silly Wile E Coyote sound that just inspires laughter in me everytime I watch that film.
Another sound that is very irritating is the sounds they use for cats meowing in films, you can obviously tell they use that same sound in just about every film that features a cat.
Car horns are another, especially that long drawn out horn, it goes something like HONKHOOOOOOOOONK. It was featured most prominantly in 'Speed'.
I always prefer that filmmaker and sound designers create new sounds never heard before, it just makes a film come to life better I think.

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
One annoyance is the "whoosh" sound effect from the end of DOOM 2 that turns up in 80-90% of today's action movies.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
My personal favorite is how, whenever somebody is playing a video game in a movie, be it on a Colecovision, Game Boy, or Xbox, the sound effects will be taken from the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I've noticed that "door opening" sound from Perfect Dark was used in X-men and now several other films.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
What about that generic belch you hear in a lot of films and cartoons, even cropped up in Star Wars and Indiana Jones?

My favorite belch is Barney's in the Simpsons, also Robby the Robot had a good loud belch in Forbidden Planet.

POSTED BY BELCHING STEVE C.

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Another irritating sound effect is the "Kid's giggling" effect, which is normally used when a group of kids start running around. It was used TWICE in one scene of "Star Wars Episode One" in the SAME scene, and used very poorly in "Rumble In The Bronx" and has been in many recent forgettable films.
As for the best sound effect, I like any punch sound effect. They can never make it sound realistic, but damn it's funny to watch them try. :)
Jay

BryanZ

Screenwriter
As much as what I hate to say it, fingernails scraping against a chalkboard. There is that high pitched screeching sound that you never will forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks