Best gaming website?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Holadem, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Is there a consensus?

I am looking for someone whose opinions to go by for the moment.

I am getting a console after 5+ years of gaming hiatus and I just want to know what games to get started with, whose "Editors Choice Award" or something I should look at. I'll probably get a PS2, RPG fan here.

Obviously, I know they offer little more than opinions, but there's got to be one or two mags out there that are respected in the industry and gaming community, no?

--
    H

2. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I have Game Rankings bookmarked to get my links to all the different websites and see what are the popular upcoming games. For reviews I usually read IGN and Game Spot and then sort of compare the reviews and usually make a decision that way.

But i'm not a big gamer so those sites might have little weight for the Hardcore game community.

3. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Thanks Nick, I just clicked over to Game Rankings and at first sight, it appears to be one tremendous resource.

--
    H

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

www.1up.com is a very neat site that I just warmed up to recently. Some good blogs and news on there. Worth checking out.

5. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

GameFAQS is one of the best resouces as far as I'm concerned. It is not as closely moderated as HTF is, but it is still fairly nice, and I use this game site over all others.

Mike

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I usually try to distill the truth from IGN and gamespot, especially when it comes to reviews. I also check Evil Avatar for news, and Penny Arcade for news and comics.

Review wise though, I've found that gamespot is a little more thorough and critical, while IGN seems to buy into the hype machine a little more (and be generally more ad-centric).

7. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Stunt Coordinator

8. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Check out this site populated by many current and past HTF members.

9. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

Just don't read the message boards, or you're sure to get an embolism.

I don't even read IGN's reviews anymore, their scores are arbitrary and usually way too generous (9.4 for DOA Volleyball, was it?). GameSpot's are usually valid and they give detailed reasons for the ratings. And if you want bias reviews, there's the reader reviews right on the same page.

10. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

Both sources have their issues. IGN tends to slant scores a lot more often than gamespot which sometimes underrates at times. Reading the reviews from each source is the way to go, don't pay attention to the scores.

11. PeterMano

PeterMano Stunt Coordinator

I prefer the opinons of fellow gamers to any pro or semi-pro reviewer on a website or in a mag. I simply respect more the opinon of guys who shell out hard earned cash for a game than for the oftentimes jaded opinions of those that play games for a living. Games that I've been turned on to invariably are the result of a enthusiastic reaction of a fellow gamer.

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Holadem, I second the recommendation for www.lcvg.com. A lot of the folks are current HTF and/or AVSforum folks (so of course it is a bit pro-Xbox). We actually have intelligent conversations about games, and very little of the infantile B.S. that the gamefaqs boards are sometimes victim to.

Personally, if you are an RPG gan, looking for RPG news and reviews, I recommend www.rpgamer.com . Otherwise, I frequent LCVG a lot.

Otherwise, I tend to use www.metacritic.com for reviews (movies and games). They average out the scores, weighting respectable reviewers higher, and statistically normalizing the scores. Kind of like gamerankings, but they cover other stuff than games.