Best front projector around $10,000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronA, Jan 6, 2002.

1. AaronA

AaronA Auditioning

Hi, We are currently in the process of finishing our basement and are adding a home theater room approx 11x17. I am looking for any suggestions on what front projector system I should buy. I have between 10,000-12,000 to spend on the projector. The theater center near me recommended the Dwin Transvition, but I am concerned about the low contrast specs.

From the specs, the Sharpvision XV-Z9000U looks good, but is 800 lumens in a dedicated theater room enough? I would welcome any help.

2. elMalloc

elMalloc Supporting Actor

I wonder why nobody is replying, =D.

Maybe not many people know that much about things in that price range around here. Note: I said many, I'm sure some people have spent $12K on a TV or projector before, here.

Good luck,

ELmO

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd recommend heading over to the projector forums at http://www.avsforum.com
    There are some very knowledgable people there who will be glad to help you out.

4. AaronA

AaronA Auditioning

Thanks for the advice!
    [​IMG]

5. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

Without question, the best projector in that price range is the JVC G-15 D-ILA projector. It lists for fifteen grand, but AV Science has them for sale within your price range. Well worth checking out.

-greg

6. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

Yes, the JVC G-15 DILA is awesome. I love mine, and it replaced a Dwin Transvision (overpriced for what you get, including the rainbow artifact) and a Sanyo PLV-60 (nice but too much screen door). Definitely check out the AVS Forum on digital projectors, though, as there is a wealth of info there on the DILA's and other digital projectors. BTW, you could get a G-15 a few months ago for around $9400, and the prices may be even lower now.

7. AaronA

AaronA Auditioning

Thanks for the help! I checked out the specs. for the JVC. I noticed that the contrast is specked at 350:1.

Does this system produce good contrast? I know some projectors tend to wash out alot.

8. Deane Johnson

Deane Johnson Supporting Actor

The Projector Central site might be of some help to you. They have some interesting reviews and comments.
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/
    I second the comment that the folks on the AVS Forum will be very helpful, and are very knowledgeable, but caution you that many are very biased towards the projector they own, which is, of course, the reason they bought it in the first place. You can learn much from this, but consider everyone's viewpoint before zeroing in on a specific projector for your application.
    Deane

9. RandallM

RandallM Auditioning

I have recently auditioned the latest DLP from Integra and it is very impressive. The DLV-100 is a small (9.4” x 2.1” x 7.7”) single chip, HD-ready, DLP projector.

The DLV-100 has XGA native resolution (1024 x 768), which makes it ready for HDTV, and produces an exceptionally bright picture with 1000 ANSI Lumens in Normal mode and 800 ANSI in Long Life mode (Which provides quiet fan operation and longer bulb life), where typical projectors and projection TVs usually produce 700-850 Lumens of Brightness.

For system integration, the unit is equipped with a composite input, an S-Video input, and an RGB input. Other user-friendly features include Digital Zoom. The unit is so small and light (only 3.3 lbs.) it can even be reversed for ceiling mounting. Now, you can enjoy a true big screen home theater experience in just about any room in your house.

I believe retail is about $8k. Check it out at integrahometheater.com.

10. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

Aaron, the JVC G-15 needs to be calibrated for HT use. There are several ways of getting this done (it typically costs around $500), but after calibration, the contrast ratio is typically in the 500 to 600:1 range. In any event, contrast is not an issue on a calibrated G-15. Also, rainbows are not an issue, and screen door is not an issue. The only issues are heat and noise, but these are extremely overrated and easily dealt with, IMO. If picture is important to you, a calibrated DILA gives the best picture available on a digital projector and many believe it rivals a CRT. I The new DLP's, such as the new Sharp, are close to the DILA (the consensus seems to be the Sharp, for e.g., is about 90% as good as the G-15), but you have to make sure you're not susteptible to the rainbow artifact. If you are, forget a DLP.

11. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Aaron,

I have watched the Sharp Z9000 using different sources and I'll tell ya ...don't be sided by the 800 lumens rating! I LOVE this projector!! Besides a $60K Runco CRT/Scaler setup, this is THE best projector I have seen!! Your room is only 11 feet wide! How wide of a screen were you thinking of using? I viewed it on a 100in 16x9 screen (I think that's 87 inches wide)...TRUST me...I think you'll be fine!!! Also watch to see when the Stewart FireHawk screen is released for it's designed for DLP projectors (unlike the GreyHawk).

Good Luck

Mike

12. Dawn C

Dawn C Auditioning

Aaron,
    I am in the same boat that you are. We are finishing our basement now and are trying to find the best projector in that same price range. I was all set to buy the Sharp XV-Z9000 until I spoke with an Audio/Video expert who designs/installs HTs. He told me to look again at the Sharp with a DVD that has fast motion along with a lot of dark scenes. He said it will trail, have jagged edges, the darks aren't truly black, etc. He steered me toward the DWIN Transvision 2. The lumens are higher and he said that we wouldn't need to have a completely dark room to have bright colors either. The downfall is I can't find a store in Denver to view one. I have to make an appointment with someone that had their system installed by this outfit. So, good luck in your shopping and after reading through these replies, I may have to go check out the JVC as well. This is such a large investment, it's hard to bite the bullet and just do it! [​IMG]
    Dawn

13. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The Transvision 2 isn't quite out yet. That's probably why you can't find a store in Denver to view one. It'll be out soon though. It's one of the most highly anticipated units out there.

14. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Others worth taking a look at are the Sim2 HT300 ($15K), and the the Marantz VP12S1 ($12.5K).

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I'd recommend any of the 16x9 DLPs using the HD1 chip (Sharp 9000, marantz, seleco).

On the Firehawk they are simply stunning. REALLY. and you don't need to get tweaky to get this effect either. Plug and play. No HTPC, no scaler...just progressive-scan into the Sharp 9000 and you've got a MOVIE in your living room.

Naturally, you CAN make the image better with tweaking etc, but it's really, really satisfying with progressive-scan and nothing more (other than a firehawk screen).

-dave