Best friend tells me, he hates my guts.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Mitch Stevens, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Oh my god. I have no idea where to even begin. So, I met this guy online. We spent hundreds of hours chatting in online chat rooms, and through AIM, and even thousands of e-mails going back and forth. Yesterday, out of the blue, he told me that he hates my guts, and considers me a crappy friend. He tells me that he's never once cared what I had to say.

What kind of person, would spend so many hours per day, every week, every month for almost 2 years, talking to a person that they hated so much? I didn't do or say anything that would jeopordize my friendship with him. I have no idea why he would say such things. He said he's hated me since the first time we chatted, but then why on earth keep doing it? Why all the e-mails? It doesn't make any sense.

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Are you sure it was him?

- Walter.

3. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    My question is, how can you consider someone you've never never had any face to face contact with a "best friend"?

4. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Man, you guys took the two points I was going to make.

It not being the guy is pretty logical, but him possibly being a psychopath is a close second.

5. David C Lin

David C Lin Stunt Coordinator

Maybe he was having a bad day? If it's not like his normal conversation, maybe he has some issues he need to work out?

6. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

7. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Maybe his wife/girlfriend/significant-other is insanely jealous of the time he spends online and that was actually them in the last correspondence ?

8. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Don't do anything, let him make the next contact. If he writes back, acting as if nothing abnormal ever happened, Thens its a good assumption that Someone Else was "writing for him".

9. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    Yeah, I agree. There have been times when I've accidentally left my MSN open and had my little brother or sister think it's funny to "play me".

10. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

It's very likely someone else contacted you using his name. Or he was drunk [​IMG]

As for being best friends with people you have not met face to face, well yes, it's perfectly possible [​IMG]

11. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

It's just too weird. I tend to agree it was most likely someone else but, in case it isn't...

---or---

He's having some crisis he hasn't told you about. Some forms of mental illness strike like this, clinical depression, schizophrenia, and bipolar disorder. If he decided to not take medication or the medication needs to be adjusted or changed you can see mood swings and sudden changes in behavior like this.

---or---

You got too close and he's questioning why he's let you get to know him so intimately and the situation is threatening his sexual identity. It might sound crazy but some men equate emtional attachment and trust with homosexuality and so confuses his feelings for you. e.g.-- "Wow! I really love this guy. Oh shit! That must mean I'm gay!" One of my best friends did the exact same thing. He equated any sense of emotional attachment to another man as being homosexual.

---or---

He really is gay and doesn't accept it and has feelings of attraction toward you. It happens.

Not much you can do via email for this. I'd suggest you ask for some proof that he was the one who sent the email. If it turns out he did then at least suggest he get some counseling because head games like that are immature and cruel. Let him know you'll be around and always be his friend once he works out whatever issues he has and then go from there. Your options are limited but if you know anyone else in his life I suggest you contact that person and ask about what's going on and what happened. Something had to bring this on. Go through your last few correspondences and see if there are any clues.

Good luck with everything and hang-in there. Things like this are very, very, hard and I know because it's happened to me. Just keep telling yourself not everyone is like that and, above all, don't let it make you bitter.

None of us have so many friends that we can afford to throw them away.

12. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

13. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

I thought everyone hated your guts. My bad I guess.

[​IMG]

14. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

People can have different friendships and place different values on a relationship. Questioning the level of intimatcy as a basis for qualification is absolutely subjective and that's not going to change. Please let's stick to the issue at hand so this thread doesn't get locked? [​IMG]

15. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

16. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

17. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

Does this qualify as one of those "personal" posts that Jack recently banned?

Honestly though, you met this guy online, and he's your best friend?

18. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

19. Dustin Wind

Dustin Wind Stunt Coordinator

um wow,
    on-line best friend?

20. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

Yes, it was definitely him. And even though I've never actually met him in person, he was indeed my best friend. I mean, after two years, I thought I really knew him, and he knew me.

He wrote me another mail stating it was because I told him I hated his favourite movies....One of them being the "original" version of Titanic. That's an extremely stupid reason to break up a friendship if you ask me.