What's new

Best Free MP3 Burner? (1 Viewer)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
I trying to find some free software for my dad so that he can copy MP3 files to CD-R/RW.

I use EAC, but its a bit involved and id like my dad to be able to use a simple one.

I know there are some free ones out there that allow burning of wav files, but you have to purchase the upgrade to be able to use the MP3 capabilities.

Any help would be appreciated,thanks!!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
nero has a free trial, though I'm not sure how long it lasts, I think it works forever and just nags you when you open it.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
People are always complaining about the minor bugs in MusicMatch but the GUI is very friendly, much better than winamp imo. It burns CDs fine but be sure to use a LAME-based proggie when ripping.
www.musicmatch.com

FrankC

Agent
Scott L:
I like the MusicMatch GUI as well. I've used Winamp, Windows Media Player, and RealPlayer in the past.
I'm a relative newbie to the world of ripping MP3s. what is a LAME-based proggie and where do I get one? ;)

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Actually, the only involved thing about EAC and Lame is its installation. Once you get it set up initially, all you have to do is insert a CD, mark all the tracks and select "copy tracks with compression" and it rips and burns it. If you set it up right, it will even create a subdirectory with the name of the artist and a subdirectory of that with the name of the album. If you don't turn on automatic CDDB/FreeDB fetching of song titles, you need to add the step of telling it to go fetch that data.

Can't get much simpler than that to get "perfect" MP3's... (ie about as good as they get when giving at least some thought to keeping the file size down).

I guess it depends on the priorities. Since I plan to listen to my MP3's for (many) years to come, I want them to be as good as I can get them while still staying within the MP3 spec. Super-flashy user interfaces and media databases has a much much lower priority than quality. I guess you should ask your father if he wants to sacrifice some quality for ease of operation...

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I highly recommend iTunes. It burns both standard and MP3 CD's, and integrates with third-party MP3 players.

- Steve

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
What about easy cd creator? Nothing is really easier than that. Put a cd in it pops up asking you what kind of cd you want to make. Select music, then it launches the app. Go find your mp3 files and drag and drop them to the cd till the order is what you want then say burn. It converts and burns for you.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Frank- I was talking about a ripping program that encodes MP3s using the LAME codec, the best out there. Razorlame is the most popular one, found at www.r3mix.net

FrankC

Agent
Thanks for the info, Scott! I'll check it out. I've been using the codec baked into MusicMatch, which works fine for output to my little computer speakers -- but I have yet to hear what 160 kbps compression sounds like with my home theater rig...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks