Best free email provider: yahoo? hotmail?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy F, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Andy F

Andy F Stunt Coordinator

i'm graduating in may and need to find a free service to start using. Anyone think one service is better than others?

I can only think of yahoo and hotmail off the top of my head, but are there any others i should look at?

thanks in advance

i know this sounds like a trivial thing but if one service is "down" a lot more than others i would like to know about it ahead of time.

2. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Try fastmail.fm (yes,.fm not .com). It's a 1000 times better than Yahoo or Hotmail. I get zero spam, the interface is basic so it loads quickly over a dial-up line and it has only been down once in the last six months.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dave, interesting. I was going to speak out against Hotmail because of the loads of spam. I opened a Hotmail account last year but gave up on it within a couple of weeks because of the high levels of spam. It started immediately, and the volume of spam was ridiculous. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

I've had great luck with Yahoo Mail, and in 3 years I've never been spammed on it, but then I only correspond with a few people on it (I don't make the address public).

Hotmail is crap. Avoid it at all costs. I set up an account on it for testing purposes and immediately started receiving spam on it, even before I ever used it to send or receive a legitimate message!

5. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

Yahoo mail seems to go down too often. I would have stayed with them but their server stability was too much of an issue to me. Plus their limited storage capability of something like 4 or 6 Megs was too little. (yes I know you can buy more)

6. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

Yahoo!, I get a little spam but that is because I use that account to deal with businesses. If you want to go a slightly geeky route you can get a free UNIX email account. For $1 donation, this will allow you to telnet in and use any number of e-mail programs. PINE is the easiest IHMO. You also get 20mb of free web space and absolutely no advertising. There are other membership levels that give you more space and access to more advanced utils on the system all a very low prices. This organization is a legit no-profit organization. Check out SDF

7. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    The trick to avoiding spam on MSN/Hotmail is to sign up as a minor (i.e. claim you're under 18). My neighbor's account gets ~75 spam mails a day... their daughter gets 0.

8. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Not a speck of spam in my Yahoo! account.

9. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

Beermail at beer.com.
    [​IMG]

10. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i use mail.com. never had much of a problem with them.

kevin t

11. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

mail.com has actually lost all of my emails TWICE in the past few years...

I also use mail.totalise.co.uk ... 50 MB of web space! no spam so far.

12. Todd_B

Todd_B Second Unit

I've been using Yahoo since 96 or 97. So, apparantly I'm a happy customer [​IMG]
    I do get some spam in my inbox, but no more than 5 messages a day. I just report them and then they get deleted.
    Todd B