What's new

Best FP USED...for 3K? (1 Viewer)

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I want a CRT system, and I love to tinker with stuff, so I don't mind a tough initial setup. I don't, however relish the thought of weekly or monthly re-convergance or tweaking, but I'd feel left out if I didn't have to at least turn something twice a year or so ;)
I will also consider any other options anyone might want to suggest like DiLA or LCD or DLP. Who knows...perhaps there's a great NEW LCD projector in the 3K price range that will surprise me....but I am verrry picky about my video and screen door effects and especially a dead pixle will ruin it for me.
I want to project no more than 60 inches and most of the viewing would be of 16:9 material. I plan to setup a direct view TV for everyday watching and use the projector for movies, certain special TV days like premier night, and a few football games. So figure during football season, it will get about 5 hours a week of TV use in addition to 6 or so weekly for movies. The rest of the time should be just the six or so hours (two or three movies a weekend).
Thanks for any suggestions!

VicRuiz

Second Unit
A properly set up CRT does NOT have to be tweaked more than a couple of times a year. However, proper initial setup is critical. For 3k you should be able to get a Marquee 8000 with around 3000 hours. I have one and love it!

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Vic,

Where did you find yours? How do you know how many hours are really on a monitor? Aside from the initial cost, how much more did you have to spend for proper setup? Is the setup something an experienced tweaker could accomplish using the service manual?

VicRuiz

Second Unit
Go to the CRT Projectors forum at AVS Forum and look for Curt Palme. You will find dozens of positive references for him. He's very well respected and you cannot go wrong buying from him.
Some projectors have hour counters, but they can be misleading. In reality the condition of the tubes depends on how hard they were driven, not the total hours. Experienced CRT techs can tell by closely examining the CRT faces for signs of wear, how hard they were driven and how many hours they have left.
I paid $500 for a 2-hour setup and calibration, but only because it was a renowned CRT tech that happened to be in NYC at the time, and I didn't want to pass him up. Otherwise I would've done it myself. Yes, an experienced tweaker can do it with the service manual AND asking questions at AVS Forum. The service manual doesn't tell you everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks