Best flat wire for rear surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Reid_J, Sep 22, 2002.

1. Reid_J

Reid_J Extra

I am hoping to get some opinions/suggestions for the best flat wire to run to my rear surrounds. My room is about 25 feet long, and I would like to run the wire under the carpet and up the walls to each speaker, then spackle and/or paint it so it is "hidden". I have the Energy Take 5.2 satellite system with a Denon 3802 receiver.
    I have been searching the internet for different options, but thought someone here might have some good ideas. There are a lot out there, bu it seems like the best options so far are the Acoustic Research HT362 16-guage or I also found one called SYNAPSE Thinflex wire (http://www.speakerworks.net/speaker_wire.html), but I am not sure on the guage size for my room length. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You can also look here: http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=370
    Most flat wire I have seen is usually 16 ga. That should be fine for your application. If you feel the need for overkill, you can always use 2 16 ga. runs which would be about 13 ga. equivalent.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

I found a 50-ft hank of nice stranded 14 gauge flatwire at Radio Shack.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  5. Reid_J

Reid_J Extra

Thanks for the help. I'm glad to hear that the 16AWG should work fine. That was my biggest concern, and I didn't want to put it in and have it be wrong. I'll definately check out Parts Express, Radio Shack and JSC. Thanks again...this forum is great!

6. GregoryKrolczyk

Nordost. True high-end. There are tons of dealers, and I've noticed some of the less expensive flavors on eBay.

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

True overkill on Take5 2.2 satellite SURROUNDS.

8. GregoryKrolczyk

True - but he did ask for the "best." Guessing this case best doesn't necessarily refer to sound quality alone.

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

For a fairly thin wire, which should facillitate spackling as well as running under carpeting without creating a 'bump', check this place out.