What's new

Best Evil Dead? (1 Viewer)

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Anchor Bay's upcoming Evil Dead: Book of The Dead Limited Edition is the best for packaging & supplement. This release though is presented in a new director approved anamorphic widescreen transfer with new Dolby Digital EX & dts 6.1 ES English soundtrack options. The audio commentaries from the Elite Collector's Edition can be found on this release.

However, if you want the original soundtrack and the original AR, the Elite Collector's Edition is the one you want. Light on supplement but at least its in the original theatrical AR with the original mono English soundtrack.

Scott_MacD

Supporting Actor
No.. the Elite Collector's Edition, has a "Newly remixed Dolby Digital 5.1 Soundtrack" and a "Newly remixed Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo Soundtrack"

(The one with a girl being pulled into the ground by a demonic hand on the cover.)

No mention of the original mono on the package or the disc's audio selections.

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Let me add to the reason why I am asking this question about the Evil Dead releases...Yes I know that a search would have showed me all the previous threads on the Evil Dead DVDs so please don't verbally spank me for asking this again! I just need some fresh opinions. Just about every review I have read stated that the Original Anchor Bay release HAS the best transfer? Is this the bare bones release in the clear case? I am so confused with all these Evil Dead reissues. So please tell me your opinions on your favorite. Let me clarify,I am interest first and formost in the movie, the extras are just that,extras. Thanks!

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
"at least its in the original theatrical AR"

I'm supprised to hear that in the early 80's US theatres were still showing new films in 4:3 ratio, I though that stopped about thirty years erlier.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Light on supplement but at least its in the original theatrical AR with the original mono English soundtrack.
The original theatrical release was not at 1.37:1, unless you're just counting the premiere (which was at an older theater that accomodated that aspect ratio).

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
Of the two existing versions, I think the barebones Anchor Bay one has the better transfer. Although I still prefer the Elite version for extras. Of course, I'll be picking up a third version on March 5, too. From what the reviews are saying, for transfer quality it goes like this:

1. Anchor Bay--original version

2. Elite

3. Anchor Bay--Book of the Dead

For sound quality, simply reverse this list.

Mattias_ka

Supporting Actor
The OAR has always been 1.66:1 matted. So the new AB release is matting to much of the picture. And if I not misstaken it's Bruce campbell, not Raimi that oversaw the new matting. I would STRONGLY recommend the Elite version

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Michael: There's a comparison of the two at http://www.mondo-digital.com/evildeaddvd.html
I've skimmed quite a number of threads on various forums discussing the differences between the two, and the general consensus is generally in favor of the Anchor Bay transfer...even though presumably it wasn't supervised by Raimi and company as the Elite disc was...

Brett C

Second Unit
The AB version is superior to the Elite One transferwise,But I high doubt that a component/16/9 transfer is going to look inferior to a fullframe transfer,lol AB have learned a lot since they did their transfer of Evil Dead.And this film Was shown 185.1 in theatres in the states so that is the Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio.It might have been shot for 166.1 but thats not how it was shown as that ratio isn't used in the states.Eitherway I'll keep my elite disc,but can't wait to see the new one....

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
So which one do I get? I want to buy BOTD, but should I get Anchor Bay too for better picture quality and a full presentation?

Brett C

Second Unit
Well If your going to get the book of the dead one anyway, I'd recommend getting the AB one if you want a copy of the fullframe version as the new disc will feature the same supplements as the Elite one...

JohnJB

Stunt Coordinator
Adam_WM

If you've got a 16:9 telly, then I cannot believe the new BOTD will not be by far the best presentation picture quality wise, if you've got a 4:3 set I'd personally pick up the Elite version which is dirt cheap now and it sounds from the reviews looks better than latest version, but only on 4:3 set's !!!

THERE IS NO WAY THE OLD ELITE OR AB VERSIONS WOULD LOOK BETTER THAN THE NEW BOTD ON A 16:9 DISPLAY

and I'm talking improvements in resolution not the avoiding of grey/black bars to the sides.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
Well, John, I AM going to get the BOTD. I was just wondering if I should get Anchor Bay to have a copy of the full frame? People are saying it has better transfer than the Elite.

The Elite is cheaper, but if the Anchor Bay one has a better transfer, I'll pay the $3 extra.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
First, there was a bare bones Anchor Bay edition.

Then, there was the Elite edition with some good extras.

Now there is the Book of the Dead and a slightly stripped down movie and a few extras edition (both out on March 5th by Anchor Bay).

Matt_Marlow

Stunt Coordinator
THERE IS NO WAY THE OLD ELITE OR AB VERSIONS WOULD LOOK BETTER THAN THE NEW BOTD ON A 16:9 DISPLAY.
I'm not sure this is necessarily true. 1.85:1 transfers occupy more of the screen, but won't necessarily look better as far as picture quality. If your DVD player generates black bars on the sides of 4:3 material--JVC, Panasonic, Toshiba, Malata--then some 1.33:1 material looks great on a 16:9 TV. For example, X-Files episodes(especially seasons 3 and 4) generally look as good as anamorphic widescreen material on my 65" HDTV. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you're still utilizing the full vertical resolution on full frame material, just like you would if watching them on a 4:3 set. The current versions of Evil Dead look great on my TV.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
All of this bickering about formats and releases reminds me of why I got a 4:3 HD-ready set. Everything looks great. HDTV, widescreen DVD, NTSC, laserdiscs, letterboxed DVDs.
It's all fantastic. From the HD Olympics (jawdropping!), to my letterboxed laserdisc of 'Best of Roger Rabbit'. And no funky zooming or scaling (when the TV does it, you gain nasty artifacts, when a DVD player does it, you lose resolution).
Now, if I buy the original AB disc, and the new AB SE, is there any reason I would ever want to buy the Elite one? I can only think of the following reasons:
1) To watch the original framing with DD5.1.
2) To watch the original framing with commentaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks