Best E.T. LD to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rolando, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Want to get it in OAR of course but want best A/V as well as Special features. Which one guys?
    ------------------
    Rolando Avendano

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

There is one, and only one, E.T. LD to get and that's the 4-disc all-CAV box set. Picture and sound are excellent, the supplements are outstanding and it comes with a soundtrack cd. This is what it looks like: E.T. 4-Disc Box Set (this isn't mine). Just for your info, this set doesn't photograph well - it looks much better in reality.
    You can still get this set on Ebay right now, sealed if you're patient (like the one listed above), for a reasonable price. Typically they go for around $50, occasionally near $100, but I won a sealed copy (now I've got two!) recently for about $31.
    Do not - I repeat - do not make a mistake and get the 3-disc all-CAV box set. The picture isn't as good, it's a known rotter, and, apparently, early copies had reversed channels.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV
    [Edited last by alan halvorson on October 19, 2001 at 05:37 PM]

3. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom Stunt Coordinator

Alan, is the CAV set that much better than the CLV movie-only LD? It's been a little while, but I remember it being an excellent looking/sounding LD.
    ------------------
    Kevin

4. Dave Lyons

Dave Lyons Stunt Coordinator

Kevin, I've owned both and I'd say the CAV box set is 100x better than the single disc LD. I've only owned about 70 LDs in my life, but the single disc E.T. was easily the worst looking I've ever seen ... it didn't even offer chapter stops if I remember. I have been very happy with the limited edition boxset though ...

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I may be misremembering, but I believe the CLV LD was not in original aspect ratio.
    It's also much older than the 4-disc boxset, which was done after there had been significant advances in transfer technology.
    M.

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I have both the 4 disc ld box set and a single disc. To be honest, I haven't watched either for a while, so I don't remember details. I'm curious about whether either has the terrorist line intact (the single ld seems to be from 1988, so maybe that's before the cut).
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

7. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

I have the single LD and the picture quality is bad.
    ------------------
    http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

8. Gruson

Gruson Second Unit

The 10,000 limited numbered set is the one to get. It can be expensive though (over $100).
    The video on this set is great. One of the better looking LDs out there.
    I own the single E.T. LD too and the video is horrible. There are no chapter stops.
    Be careful, as there is another E.T. LD box set out there as well that is not the limited (better video) set. The quality on this one is not too good either.

9. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

or could blow $2k on a Pioneer HLD-X9 Hi-Vision player, $800 on a MUSE Hi-Vision decoder, and $350-$500 for a Hi-Vision laserdisc copy of E.T.
    Super expensive, has Japanese subtitles, but a High Definition version of E.T complete with guns !
    -Brian

10. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom Stunt Coordinator

Well, I pulled out my CLV LD and watched it this weekend, and you're right, it's nothing to write home about, video-wise. Still, it was great watching the film in its unbastardized version...
    Maybe it's time to look for that box set! [​IMG]Alan, you got one of those, too?!?
    ------------------
    Kevin