What's new

Best DVDs for testing DD sound system (1 Viewer)

Todd_N

Agent
One of the very first discs I got back in 97 I still feel is one of the best DD5.1 ....... Desperado

David Benus

Auditioning
Thanks! Lot of titles to see and hear with the new system.

I just got on rentmydvd.com and netflix.com and lined 'em up for delivery.

All I need to do now is go to Shop Rite and get some microwave popcorn.

Thanks again,

David Benus

Brian Ralph

Stunt Coordinator
It took this long to get to U-571??? Both the DD and DTS tracks have incredible surround/subwoofer action!!

Robin Warren

Second Unit
U571 is definately active. I find the depth charge scene is too intense and is an unpleasent experience. Loud though.....:)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Try these on for size...

- Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

- Titan AE

- Toy Story 2

- Vertical Limit

- A Bug's Life

bill lopez

Second Unit
Hey I was only kidding about MOULIN ROUGE!

Intresting how nobody's recomending that dvd but it was voted DVD OF THE YEAR. I have been wondering about that.:p)

Tony Aguila

Stunt Coordinator
I second the plug for Desperado not just for the explosions but also the ambient sounds. Seven also has great ambient sounds. And how come nobody mentioned Pitch Black?... great sounds, great movie.

Oldie but goodie: Das Boot. And how about the motel shootout at the end of L.A. Confidential?

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
My new favorite DVD for showing off sound is The Fast and the Furious. Really gives your system a workout.
Ah, you beat me to it Kip! I was thinking of this one too. It's a great way to show off your sound system! j Aggressive sound from every one of the 5.1 speakers!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Intresting how nobody's recomending that dvd but it was voted DVD OF THE YEAR. I have been wondering about that

Hey Bill, give it a rest.

You have made your point to the point that

I am getting email complaints about you.

Let's move on, shall we?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
For Bass Effects: Opening Chapter of Toy Story 2, footstomps during menu of Godzilla, Matrix Lobby shoot out scene, nearly any scene in The House on Haunted Hill (almost over-use of low-frequency humm). Pod Race scene in The Phantom Menace. The chase through the ice-field in Titan AE.

Special mention: The drive-in scene in Twister.

For special effects/rear speakers:

Star Trek:Insurrection "Agressive Tendancies" chapter

Star Trek:First Contact - Borg Battle scene (chapter 3) (this is a great audition chapter as it has male/female/music/special effects in one short chapter)

Das Boot is a movie with great use of rear speakers.

I'd skip Super Speedway. While the sounds of cars rushing through your speakers is impressive, the fact that the sounds change so much as they zoom past hides the effect that it is the same sound.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Your receiver also does DTS: Digital Surround, so I would then recommend:

Jurassic Park (corrected DTS version)

The Haunting (DTS-ES version)

The Fast and the Furious (DTS track)

Saving Private Ryan (DTS version)

ANTZ (DTS version)

Disney's Atlantis Collector's Edition (DTS track)

IMAX's Super Speedway Mach II Special Edition (DTS track)

Se7en: Platinum Edition (DTS-ES track)

Chicken Run (DTS-ES track)

Gladiator (DTS-ES track)

etc.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A lot of good stuff mentioned here. some of my personal favorites are:
Bank Robbery in Heat
D-Day in DTS Private Ryan
The DTS Fifth Element
One that is very good in a totally different way is Immortal Beloved which has one of my favorite soundtracks of all time. The war scene around the middle of the movie will knock you out of your seat, also.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
In my opinion, if you're trying to test Dolby Digital, then The Phantom Menace has the best Dolby Digital track of any DVD I've yet heard.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Phantom Menace is without a doubt the best, but some other good ones are:

Das Boot

Air Force One

5th Element

Saving Private Ryan

Superman

Kiss of the Dragon

Shaun

Second Unit
I can't believe no one's mentioned Pearl Harbor! Definitelly one of the most aggressive and creative use of sound and sound effects editing.

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta throw in my .02 FWIW (a couple new titles to topic):

U571-depth charge sequence-previously mentioned.

Castaway-plane crash scene! Not previously mentioned?

Both of the above have intense audio and visuals. With reference levels on a good system you almost experience the event as opposed to watching it. This can be disturbing - I find it stressful due to the realism, my girlfriend doesn't like it - she wants to 'watch' as opposed to 'being there'...

But my all-time favorite(rarely mentioned):

Top Gun - the lead in from credits to first dialogue. This is the best entrance to any movie... building, building, building with clean musical, bass-heavy tones through credits to launch preparations to throttle up and first catapault launch and Kenny Logins 'Danger Zone' with following catapaults and landings.

IMHO - A classy, psychologically involving audio-video sequence that displays music & action without being 'too much' for people who have never experienced quality HT....

The movie is not anamorphic, but get past it and rent it/buy it and give yourself a treat!

Wyatt

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
My kids asked for Charlies Angles so I said mmmmOK.Fast and lots of sound effects. steve nn

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
If you are looking for DTS titles as well, I'd like to mention one that often gets overlooked but has an aweseome DTS track--The X-Files movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks