Best DVD recorder under $200?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Steven Larson, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

I am in the market for a DVD recorder, but don't want to spend more than $200. I read that the Panasonic ES10S is a good model, but I don't think my local Best Buy has anymore in stock.

What DVD Recorder would be a best buy under $200?

Thanks!

2. Chris:P

Chris:P Auditioning

It looks like the EH10 has been replaced by the EH20, which is supposed to be released later this month. I have an EH50S (with an HDD) and if it's any indication, an EH10 or EH20 should be a good bet. My only quarrel is with the poorly-written manual, but the machine is fairly intuitive and easy to use. These machines will write to DVD-R/-RW/+R/RAM, the RAM being nice for editing, chase-viewing, etc. It will read DVD+RW, but it won't write to it.

I've read that Panasonic's most recent DVD recorders do a better job recording in LP mode than other brands, but this is the first DVD recorder I've owned, so I have no basis for comparison.

3. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I have the Panasonic ES10. It's a fantastic machine. If you look around you can still find one online.

Checking Best Buy online, the Best Buy in Kennewick WA still has them. Not sure how far that is from Spokane though.

4. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for checking that Todd! Kennewick is a couple of hours from me. I just called the local BB, and they said they sometimes will transfer merchandise between stores, then when I asked about the Panasonic specifically, he said because it was a closeout item, and was likely being sold at cost, they would not transfer it to Spokane.

I guess my next step would be to either call the Kennewick store and see if they would ship it to me, or I found one online for 179.99 (plus shipping).

Thanks again!