Best DVD PQ for Around $300 (or less?)

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Greg Labate, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Greg Labate

Greg Labate Stunt Coordinator

What is the DVD player with the best picture quality for around under $300 or less? I only care about getting the best looking picture. I have a Toshiba 51HX83 TV with a DVI input. Any suggestions? Should I wait for the new Sony with HDMI? (I assume that HDMI is compatible with my DVI input, correct?) Thanks!

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I would wait for the new Denon 1910. It's a Faroujda based DVI scaling player. It's going to retail for $270 when it becomes available in about a month (late aug, early sept). Sony, like Pioneer, is held back by the fact that they use proprietary deinterlacers that have so far proven inferior to the better offerings from Faroujda and Silicon Image. Denon's track record w/ Faroujda implementation is extremely good, especially over the past few model years. They also have pretty much the best DVI player on the market in the 5900 and it's technology is trickling down with many refinements. All of the other DVI players have their quirks, many major (white crush on Samsung 931, 841, and Zennith 318, loader reliability on Bravo D1, firmware issues on Bravo D2 and Momitsu V880). I'm really hoping Denon's entry into the affordable DVI scaling player market is going to be a winner, and based on previous implementation of both key technologies present I would bet that it will be.

3. Greg Labate

Great response. Thanks!

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

In addition, Sony's cheaper players have been somewhat buggy and sluggish with layer changes. The Denon has a built in buffer which should help alot.

Right now I'm trying to decide if the 1910 is enough, or should I spring for the 2910 which is almost double the price.

5. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I would move up to the 2910 for DVD-A and SACD support, not so much for any increase in PQ (in theory). Since neither product has hit the street yet this is yet to be proven, but I have a creeping (hoping) suspicion that PQ will be VERY close between these 2 players.

6. Greg Labate

If I will only be using this deck for playing DVDs and nothing else, won't the Denon 1910 be enough, particularly where I only care about the best PQ?

7. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I would think so, we'll see once they hit the street and the reviews start comming out.