What's new

Best DVD Player w/ Zoom Feature (1 Viewer)

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
I need one with Zoom (after the wifey saw one in action, we have to have it), for an interlaced (regular, not HD) TV connection. I do not care about MP3 or DVDAudio. I just want it to be ***RELIABLE***. I know that Toshiba, JVC, and Samsung offer this feature. I am crossing Samsung off the list (too many reliability stories w/ that brand).

Toshiba SD-1700

I have seen the SD-1700 in action on my TV, SVideo connection. Level 1 Zoom is unbelievable. I played a DVD at OAR (original aspect ratio), hit pause, and then toggled Zoom levels. *Very* little difference in terms of noticable resolution - truly neglible IMO. However this player is made in China. I was hoping for a Japan model.

Toshiba SD-3750

I think this one is made in Japan, can someone verfiy? I know this is a Progressive model, but it has superior video DACs and should put out a superior analog signal? Also, does this unit have the same "4 level zoom"? The Toshiba website only says "Zoom". Also, how is the anamorphic downconversion? This player can be had for under $200 shipped = very attractive.

JVC Models.

I have read so many conflicting reports about intelaced performance as of late, that I don't know what to believe. I have never seen JVC's zoom in action. How does it compare to Toshiba's zoom?

Price isn't a key point here - I don't need the player to be "cheap." Any and all opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Rich B.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
If you'd like very fine control over your zoom, check out the Malata N996. There are dozens, if not hundreds of gradations on its zoom, both in and out, and the picture is excellent (plus -bonus- you can play PAL discs from other regions!). You can also move the picture up and down or side to side with equal precision. www.avdeals.com is the place that most folks recommend as a source for this machine. Expect $300 or thereabouts shipped.
I have a lot of overscan on my TV set, and I can use the zoom on the Malata to precisely eliminate it and see the whole picture. This is a superb ability in my book. Much better than the stepped zoom on my Toshiba. I didn't think much of this until I got the Malata and now I don't think I could go without it.:D

PaulKH

Second Unit
Richard, the 3750, 4700 and 5700 have a LOT of zoom in AND out levels (10+?). I guess zoom out may only work on progressive output.

ozric_smith

Agent
The Samsung DVD-N501 has about the best zoom you can

get in a NON-PSCAN player. IT has a NUON chip in there

a 128bit proc with about the power of a 700mhz PIII. the

price is good right now, $169.00 at BestBuy.com MSR $239.00. It also plays games, has a VLM, reads CD-R, CD-W and has a MP3 menu. Oh you need a CDROM burner to flash your bios. The old bios is buggs on VCD and MP3's.

Matthew S

Auditioning
Richard, the 3750 is a Japanese made unit, and I am very happy with it after 1 month.

I got mine for the same reason you need yours.....the wife couldn't deal with the black bars ("I cant see the whole picture")Little does she know......

I actually had to return a Panasonic RV31 which is a terrific player (as this forum will attest) but no zoom on the Panasonics, so back it went in exchange for the 3750.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Little update. I received my 3750 yesterday. Hooked it up and played with it for a good 2 hours. Very nice features (zoom included), and overall, much nicer operation than the 1700 model I test drove a couple weeks ago. Best DVD GUI I've ever seen. I'm using it as an analog player.

A quirk. If you're watching a movie and hit stop, then play, it resumes from where you left off - like it's supposed to. But, if you're using a zoom mode and hit stop, then play to resume, it does start playing in correct portion of the movie, but it comes back in 16:9 TV mode, meaning tall skinny people. You then need to hit stop a second time, and then play, and it returns you to OAR. You then need to re-zoom. This is not an issue if you don't use the zoom. This is not a menu setting issue; only a zoom, playback, stop, playback issue.

Also: it is made in CHINA, not Japan. Back lable says Toshiba Corp, blah blah, Japan, and then underneath that label it says: "Made in China."

I hope overall long-term quality is OK.

Rich B.

Matthew S

Auditioning
Richard,

For the record, the label on the back of my 3750 states "Toshiba Corporation-Japan. MADE IN JAPAN", not China. The box that it came in also states "MADE IN JAPAN". Also, when I am zoomed, and pause, it resumes play in the exact same mode that it was playing in before. If you hit stop twice, the player goes to the beginning of the disc.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Matt:

I believe you. More than one person told me their 3750 was made in Japan. My box also mentions Toshiba Canada (I ordered it from Onecall), perhaps our Canadian neighbors are receiving slightly different product?

Rich B.

RandyRush

Stunt Coordinator
You might want to at least check out the offerings from Mitsubishi; though some say they are just repackaged Toshiba's, I've had both and can say there is a difference;I am very satisfied with the performance, especially over the Toshiba and also the sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks