Best DVD player under $100

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by matt_kelty, Dec 26, 2003.

1. matt_kelty

matt_kelty Agent

I am looking for a replacment for my Panasonic RP-56, the component outputs decided to die. Anyway, I am a little strapped at this time and would like to find the best player under $100 with Progressive scan I can get. I just use it for DVD's and would like Coaxial audio outputs.

Thanks
    Matt

2. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

That's a trick question right?? [​IMG]

Actually, I wouldn't put dime one into those under $100 pieces of excrement. The pricing for a low cost, yet fairly decent player is around $150 and up.

For a budget player I highly recommend the Pioneer 563A (which I own). It does have competent progressive scan output (nothing like the better Faroudja and Silicon Image chips now available, but that type of quality will cost you), plus the benefits of a pretty good SACD and DVD-Audio universal player. Again, not the utmost in audio fidelity, but again you have to pay around $500 or more for better.

Two big benefits, however: this player does not have the chroma bug upsampling error that plagues many a unit, and you will not have sunk major green backs into a universal audio player as 2005 should be the time we see HDMI v.2 digital outputs for both high resolution audio and video (which the industry has now adopted as the new defacto standard for players, A/V pre-amps, receivers, and TV's, but won't start showing up for a year or so).

All these features for about $160-$179 if you shop around. Not bad, not bad at all.

Dan

3. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I've been pretty happy with the Panasonic F85S, which is a 5-DVD changer and costs about $130. Not what you asked for, but the Panasonic S25, which is, I believe, the single disc version of the F85S, is only $80. Plays DVD-A, but not SACD.

4. matt_kelty

matt_kelty Agent

Thats for the replys. anyone know anything about the LiteON LVD-2002?

5. Dan Hitchman

But, the new Panasonics have the chroma error bug since they went to their own, cheaper one chip solution. Once you know what to look for, it's very noticeable, and unacceptable.

Dan

6. Dan Hitchman

I haven't read all the reports on the LiteOn, but I did hear it had a few quirks still to be worked out. These cheaper players with DVI also have had compatibility issues with some sets that include a DVI input as they may not match in output levels, video synching, and the ability to accept video and/or computer DVI signals.

Unless you have a top drawer digital display device that can benefit from a DVI digital output, you might be better served with a more stable unit at this time, even though it may not have DVI. That's why I still recommend that Pioneer universal player.

Dan

7. matt_kelty

matt_kelty Agent

From what I have read the liteon outputs the 1080i via component cables v/s the DVI, that I dont have [​IMG] (I am running a sony 57w40)

8. Dan Hitchman

Scratch out a few more green backs, and get yourself that Pioneer. [​IMG]

I think you'll be happy with it for the time being. Just a suggestion...

Dan

9. matt_kelty

matt_kelty Agent

What model Pioneer would you recomend for a low budget

10. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The new Liteon 2002 removed 1080i capabilty and it has poor electronics so it is low quality. The only good feature it has is DIVX/MPG4 playback capabilty. I'd say though for top-rated picture quality you need a good de-interlacer like Faroujda, the cheapest model with it is the Mitsubishi DD-8040 around $250 or the Denon DVD-910 at $299. Check stores now for after-Christmas sales, you might get one down to $200.

11. matt_kelty

matt_kelty Agent

anyone know anything about the samsung 931?

12. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

matt_kelty: If you're not willing to spring for that Pioneer 563A - I would say then it would be time to check the other extreme and get a Sungale 8500 - I think it's been mentioned in this forum quite a few times and can be had for around $3X.

13. Dan Hitchman

I think Ernest is trying to say that you might as well get the Pioneer 563A. At least, that's what I'm reading into it. [​IMG]

If $60 to $80 more isn't do-able right this second, save a little bit. It's really not that much more for a pretty decent player that has many features.

Dan

14. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Go for video quality instead of the extra bells and whistles. I was an early adapter for SACD/DVD-A and have been very dissapointed with the available software for it. Do yourself a favor and go for a good video player and down the road you can get into HI-REZ..I think there's a decent Onkyo that you can get for around your budget (model 301 ?).