What's new

Best DVD Player Under 100 Bucks? (1 Viewer)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
My current Toshiba that I've had for a couple years is acting up and I need to replace it and don't have much cash. Under or right at 100 is all I have to spend so does anyone have recommendations?

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
I should mention that my DVD player is a Toshiba SD-1700 and it's started to skip all too often and I just bought Dawn of the Dead on DVD and certain chapters are pixelated and won't work at all. Tested the same disc on the Panasonic RV-30 in the living room and it works perfectly fine. Any way to clean/fix this player or should I just invest in a new one.

Dustin Harrison

Stunt Coordinator
I used my roommates Apex AD-1110 for a few months and hated to give it up when he left. It had more features than my Pany XP30 and Pioneer DV536. The picture isn't to bad and it never skipped once. I've heard Apex can be hit and miss though. I've heard some bad reviews on a few of their players. If I only had $100 to spend I'd go Apex. If it doesn't work out you can always bring it back. Wally world has a great return policy.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Rich: Generally, how have you been operating the Toshiba player? That is, have you kept it clean and dust-free? And have you resisted the temptation to use it for numerous nonstop marathon sessions lasting most of the day? (I'm keeping tabs on the people whose machines have quit on them -- a personal project.)

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
It's often left going for long periods. I don't keep it clean and dust free. It sits on the top of my entertainment center and collects lots of dust since I live right next to a desert. Are there any ways I can clean it and get it back in top form?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Rich, on both counts you need to play it much more carefully. DVD players (with the exception of some of the ruggedly built top-of-the-line, megabuck machines) are delicate, fragile machines that can run very hot very easily.

I would have wiped all the player surface areas daily with a clean, soft cloth. And I would never have screened more than two feature-length films back-to-back without giving the player some time off (at least an hour).

The two active-duty machines in my systems are run conservatively and are meticulously maintained. And the one in retirement was similarly treated and stands ready to be pressed back into service should one of the others fail for some reason.

Nobody really likes to admit it, but DVD players are not built like tanks nor do they run like 'em. Again, they're delicate things.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Rich the threshold is around $250 since thats about the cheapest price for a model with a good de-interlacer like Faroudja. Below that point it won't really make much difference $100 vs $150 is not going to help. I'd say either get a good brand like JVC under $100 or save up until you can afford a Faroudja-based model. Check EBAY for deals on used Faroudja-models like the Panasonic XP30, or you could even go with a cheaper Panasonic RP62, used models are often under $100 on EBAY for that one.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
OK I picked up the JVC. I just have a basic home theater setup for now. 32 inch TV and a pretty nice sounding home theater in a box. For now, the JVC will do. I needed to tweak with the brightness setting a little bit because the player's default is extremely dark. Anyway, it should do until I have enough for a Faroudja model.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks