Best DVD player these days.....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mike Allen, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Stunt Coordinator

Okay, "best" probably isn't the right word. Right now I'm just using my XBox for DVD playing. I honestly am pretty happy with the performance, but know there are better players out there.

Also, when I say "best", I don't mean a $2000 player. I'm looking to spend around $300, maybe a little more. I would LIKE to have something with MP3 capabilities, but it's not a necessity.

I've heard good things about Denon's. Good choice?

Please throw out the names of a couple of models that come to mind.
    Thanks,
    Mike Allen

2. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Well, my old Toshiba DVD player died last week, so I also had to do some research to find "the best" available player at that price. Many feel that the Denon DVD-1600 currently offers the best overall performance for a DVD player at any price. This model has been discontinued, but you can still get them at about $300. I just received mine yesterday and have done some limited evalutations of it with my Panasonic plasma display. Very nice so far.

-Steve

3. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

At $300 the top-rated DVD player is the Denon DVD-1600, has the excellent Faroudja de-interlacer and top quality audio with DVD-audio support. Plays MP3s too. Available new at Crutchfield for $329, but you can save more by using coupons to save $20-40.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Some people will argue for a DVI-out player like the Bravo if you have DVI input in your display. I don't know which way I'd go if I had that option AND don't care about music playback.

For myself, I went w/ a Philips 963sa at $400 instead of the Denon 1600 (at roughly the same price back when I shopped). For me, I much prefered the SACD support over DVD-A plus the highly regarded CD playback and some other nice "features", ie. region-free, PAL->NTSC playback. But it does seem to sacrifice the overall PQ a little (and could use better ergonomics), so it's definitely not for everyone.

_Man_

PS: Some people also get the Philips to hack it for 1080i output via component out, but I would not recommend this (at least right now) since the results seem flaky and unreliable although some swear by it.

5. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Stunt Coordinator

After reading your replies, and some more reviews.....I'm sold on the Denon 1600 [​IMG] I'm more concerned about PQ than anything else. Thanks a lot guys!!
    Mike Allen

6. Wayde_R

Wayde_R Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike, you and I are in the same boat. My dvd player is my Xbox w/ optical connect to my reciever. I'm very happy with it except the xbox is a little noisy.

I'm looking at universal-dvd players and to me the SACD and DVD-Audio is important as is progressive scan and I'm reading about this new thing called HDMI ?

I may strike early next year for the DVD player. So far Pioneer Elite makes a decent quality universal dvd player you can find just over 300$US.

It's important to consider ALL the features availble even if it doesn't seem important now. You might get your ears around a good 5 channel DVD-A experience and say wow...

7. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Wayde,
    FYI, the Denon 1600 does play DVD-Audio disks, but not SACD.

-Steve

8. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Guess I'm going in reverse; I'm replacing my Toshiba with the Xbox, or already have.

Over here it is not (yet?) illegal to hack the Xbox, and it is absolutely flabbergasting just how useful the Xbox can be when you patch the bios on it.

First, it will play DVD's from any region with no muss, no fuss, Without Microsoft's remote dongle, you control it from the gamepad.

Second, you can put XBMP, the Xbox Media Player, in it and play back everything else as well - Xvid,DivX, MP3, Shoutcast, MPEG 1 and 2...

With component video out it even does progressive with great PQ. I love this thing.