best dvd player that can override authoring restrictions?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by george kaplan, Dec 20, 2005.

1. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I am currently using a Panasonic CP-72 dvd player along with a ISCAN HD+ processor. I have no complaints about picture quality, but I'm just getting so sick and tired of the forced startup issues, where you often can't even fast forward through them. And on some dvds, you can't even fast forward or rewind while the movie is playing.

So, I'm considering getting a dvd player that can ignore those authoring restrictions. I'm looking for the one that does that and has the best PQ. I realize it won't be top-of-the-line PQ, but as long as it's decent, with the great ISCAN processor I have, I should have a good picture, as long as the dvd player is reasonably good.

So, any recommendations?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

George, are you talking about forced ads and trailers that are difficult to fast-forward through?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Usually for those, if you can't "next" or fast forward through them, you can hit "menu" and skip them. Not always, but more often than not.

4. george kaplan

Those, plus other stuff.

For example, on Star Trek:TNG, I can't skip or fast forward past the floating heads intro.

On most Paramount dvds, I can't skip or fast forward past the Paramount flying stars nonsense.

On many superbits, I can't even fast forward or reverse while watching the movie.

It's a relatively minor thing compared to OAR etc., but it just irritates me every time it happens.

5. george kaplan

Nope, these are cases where hitting menu, ff, skip, etc., all display the "cannot perform that function" icon.

6. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Those are annoying. Hitting STOP and then MENU will work on some players, if you haven't tried that.

7. george kaplan

I've tried every combination possible. I know that the JVC XV-N420B supposedly does this, though that doesn't get great PQ reviews. So I was hoping that someone knew of a better player, but I guess not.

8. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

There's a company (In Switzerland, I believe) that sells modificaitons and modified players called DVD Upgrades; you'd be looking for a "u-op" modified player.

Most Sony and Pioneer players can be modified; some Toshiba, JVC can be. Panasonic chasis players don't seem to have the u-op mod available.

Generally in the neighborhood of US$100.

I haven't dealt with the company; every now and again, I get a disc (either purchased or NetFlix) that makes me strongly consider it, though.

Leo

9. george kaplan

Leo,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, they don't have a mod for my dvd player, and even if they did, it would require me installing a chip myself, something I'm not up to. Oh well.

10. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

If you use DVI or HDMI, the Oppo player skips everything by doing STOP - MENU. PQ is excellent. If you use any analog connection though, the player is absolutely horrible.

11. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

George,

I have a Zenith & Go Video players that automatically bypass FBI warnings and forced trailers. The feature is called auto play. It operates by going to the title on the DVD with the most data which is usally the movie itself. You can find the Zenith at Circuit city for around 60.00 This feature is also available on the Allegro and I think the LG brands. Check Best Buy and Circuit City or do a google search. Pick one up and try it and take it back if its not quite what you want.

12. george kaplan

Nope. It skips a lot - but not everything. If you stick in, for instance, Star Trek: TNG (or I'm guessing, just about any Paramount dvd), the oppo won't let you hit stop, it just gives you the circle with a line through it until it goes through all that preliminary nonsense. [​IMG]

13. Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly Second Unit

My new Yamaha C950 will not FF through, but it will chapter skip through everything.

I was very suprised for being a major brand player that it lets you do this.

I can be to the main menu in a few seconds but it will not FF through these items nor can you go straight to the menu. Just have to chapter forward a few times.

14. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

Ah, that sucks. I don't have that title.

15. george kaplan

Ronn,

I'm pretty sure you'd find the same thing with any recent Paramount title.

Eric,

Can you verify that it works for Paramount titles?

16. Eric_Connelly

George,

I am not sure if I have any...I'll pick one up at the rental to try it out.

Anything specific you want me to get? I've tried it on:

Kung Pow
    Serenity
    X Men 2
    Star Wars Ep III ROTS
    Battlestar Galactica Season 1 - all 5 discs

Let me know what to try, believe me this feature alone makes it worth buying.

17. george kaplan

I seem to have the hardest time with Paramount titles. Any of the Star Trek:TNG discs is horrendous, but pretty much any Paramount dvd these days makes you sit through their flying stars without any way of passing it by. [​IMG]

18. Eric_Connelly

I'll give one a shot. We went to the video store and forgot.

The wife is watching Nightmare before Christmas right now and it zipped right to the main menu.

We also picked up Batman Begins and The Island and I assume it will work on them also.

For being a big ST fan I don't own a single disc from them.

When we return these I'll grab one of the ST discs.

19. Eric_Connelly

New developement.

We went to watch Batman Begins and it would not let me chapter skip through the FBI and other warnings.

But, it would let me FF...

Guess if one of the two works its still good.

Same deal with BS 2.0, cannot chapter skip the previews but can FF.

20. Eric_Connelly

I went searching through my collection and am the unfortunate owner of MarciX.

It totally ignored my remote. I mean completely. Couldn't change discs, couldn't use the on screen display, nothing.

Those guys suck. I played alot of my collection the past few days and its my only Paramount title and the only one I've had trouble with.