What's new

Best DVD player, Panny rp56 or Sony DVP NS700p ? (1 Viewer)

Jim Carr

Stunt Coordinator
They both are similarly priced and the features appear to be similiar.. sony plays SACDs and panny plays mp3's.

Does anyone have any feedback as to which is better for 250?

thanks!

Jim

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
I purchased the 700P as a gift, and got the RP56 for myself. They are both good players, and very comparable in my opinion. I got the RP56 for myself because of it's progressive performance (which I found out about after I got the 700P), not to mention I could get it a good deal cheaper :)
The 700P can not play SACDs. The 500V can, but cannot do progressive output. The 900V can do both, but costs 3 times as much. The 700P has the benefit (over the RP56) of having a coaxial digital output as well as optical, and a second set of A/V outputs.
The RP56 can play MP3 CDs, although I have not tried this feature since I could care less about MP3 CDs at the moment :) If you don't have a reciever the RP56 can be nice since it has some primitive bass management and a subwoofer out jack, so you can hook up a powered subwoofer to compliment your TV's speakers. I will actually be doing this since my subwoofer is already ordered, but I haven't quite settled on a reciever yet ;)
Since the RP56 can be found cheaper than $250 easily (it's only $230 even at crutchfield), I'd suggest going with that unless you have some reason to prefer Sony equipment, or like it's few convenience extras. I don't think you'd be disappointed with either.
-- Dave

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
Jim,

One selling point of the RP56 is that it does not exhibit the chroma bug (I believe the Sony 700 does have the chroma bug). If you notice the chroma bug, you may want to steer clear of the Sony.

Also the deinterlacer in the RP56 is quite good and I believe employs Faroudja's DCDI technology that helps to produce a jaggy-free picture.

BTW, I've seen the RP56 as low as $209 in a couple retail establishments recently.

Good luck with your decision!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks