Best DVD player for me?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mark:F, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Mark:F

Mark:F Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting the Sony KV-34XBR910 HDTV and must upgrade to a progressive scan DVD player. I'd appreciate your help in getting thru the maze in finding a DVD with DVI output, 5 disc changer, and preferably both SACD and DVD-A but I could live with just one of those if necessary.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

For DVD-audio only and the best picture quality go with a Denon DVD-1600 for around $300. For DVD-audio+SACD the new Denon DVD-2200 is excellent buy for about $600.

3. Mark:F

Thanks Don, a big help!

4. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

No DVI on the 1600 or 2200 though. If you want DVI, you're going to have to scrap the DVD-A and SACD requests atleast for a month or so. The Denon 5900 and Pioneer Elite 59Ai will both have DVI, Scaling, DVD-A, and SACD, but both are pricey at over $1500 list. There are at this time NO DVI changers and none have been anounced yet either.

5. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

You might want to check out Samsung. They are supposed to have a decent DVD player with DVI output for a reasonable price. I haven't looked it up though because I don't have an HDTV [​IMG] I just bought the Denon DVD-1600 though but like stated earlier, no DVI.

Darren

6. Mark:F

Thanks to all...I was finding out these same problems researching the Denons..I'm gonna fall back to a single disc DVD and use a separate CD multi-disc player...also, HDTV is much more important to me in this case rather than DVD-A or SACD....DVI-D with HDCP appears to be the way to go...happened to see the Samsung at Best Buy the other day for $299 I think...so now the question is - any other players available with DVI-D?

7. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The Bravo D1 has DVI and also plays Divx and Xvid movies. Great PQ and features, but a little quirky. Mine sometimes requires me to insert a disc, let it load, open the player, close it again, then it will play properly. I have to do this probably 10% of the time. The QC was a trade off i was willing to make for the $100 price difference and Divx/Xvid capabilities. It will probably be a hold-over player until the Elite 59A starts popping up as a refurb, so probably 3-4 months after it hits the street (if i'm lucky).

8. Don_Berg

Its too early for DVI for DVD in my opinion because there is only two models (Bravo and Samsung) right now and they are poorer than the excellent top-rated component video versions. Wait a year for more models to appear, or by the time the DVI-models become mature the HD-DVD might appear.

9. Mark:F

Don, If I stay away from these early DVI players and go with one of the Denon's I know I'll be real happy with it, but will I risk it becoming obsolete if DVI becomes some kind of standard...also should I care about the HDCP issue that is related to DVI? Or would the HD-DVD solve everything and work fine with the Denon?
    I appreciate all of the help from you folks....oops I don't know if HD-DVD is a potential new player, a new disc, or both?

10. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Don,

PQ is better on the Bravo D1 and Samsung HD931 than anything non-DVI in the same price range (under $300). You can't expect a $200 or $300 player to slay something like a Denon 3800 or 9000, but it's really close.

I'm currently looking into one of the other EM8500 based up-scaling players from Liteon to see how it competes with the Bravo's DVI output. I'm starting to get annoyed at the D1's bug-i-ness but I want to keep the DIVX and XVID support, atleast until I can afford a near-flagship DVD (Denon 5900 or Pioneer Elite 59Ai).

11. Don_Berg

I'd reserve the DVI port for where it really matters - HD signals from say an HD STB. Component video is more than sufficient for the lower resolution of DVD source (480p) - I don't believe in upconferting lower res material. When the new HD-DVD format comes out in a couple years, than that will be worth using DVI for. Thats my opinion.

12. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Mark,

I wouldn't worry about obsolescence w/ a good 480p DVD player now. DVD will eventually be superceded by an HD format anyway. No point in worry about it.

You may or may not prefer the upscaled DVI PQ of the current Bravo and/or Sammy players on a bigger screen, but it probably won't make a real diff on a 34" CRT display (or the Denon 1600 might actually look better for that w/ less combing vs Bravo and maybe better general PQ vs Sammy).

_Man_

13. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The only time I've ever seen the Bravo comb was when using the component output.

14. Mark:F

Thanks again to all for your help...looks like the Denon DVD-1600 or maybe the 2200...I'm reading that the 2200 has THD of 0.001% with video and audio...that's a wowser...but I can't believe the 1600 has no zoom..if that's true then the 2200 is a must..is it true??

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

16. Mark:F

Lew, you've got me thinking...I've got a real fine Toshiba DVD 5-disc but no progressive scan...are you saying that the Sony TV would not show much improvement with say the Denon 1600? that I'd need maybe the 2200 or equivalent?...if so, I'll at least try the Sony with my current DVD...the more I get into this I realize that I don't really care about DVD Audio or SACD...

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Almost any progressive scan DVD player will look a lot better on an HDTV set with an average line-doubler. But the ones with really fine line-doublers (such as your Sony) will be as good (or nearly as good) as the average progressive scan DVD players.

This is not to say that you won’t be able to find a DVD player that will be better than Sony, but I don’t think that you need to rush right out. Your plan of waiting seems to be a good one.

Right now, I’m waiting to see where the players that do the 1080i upconverts go. I’m hoping for some of the bugs (from my perspective) to be worked out.

Good luck.

18. Mark:F

Thanks to all...even though I've decided to hold off on upgrading my DVD, I'm still curious...is it true that the Denon 1600 has no zoom?

19. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

Does this mean you saw what the Bravo can do and didn't like it?

20. Mark:F

No, I haven't actually checked out any of the players we've talked about here...it just ended up looking like trying out my Toshiba DVD with the new Sony TV made the most sense-
    -I'll be able to compare what kind of picture I get versus plugging in my friend's good Panasonic player with progressive scan
    -I'll still have 5-disc capacity to keep my wife happy music-wise
    -I'd like to see DVI more mature, HD-DVD too.

BTW if you want to crack up, I was checking out Sony's DVP-NC685V which holds 5 discs and has SACD...noticed that zoom never showed up as a feature...got on to Sony's live chat help system and was told there's no zoom on that $250 DVD....instead they're showcasing 2 DVD-VCR combo players that have zoom...then she starts telling me how cool the zoom is on the combo players!! My dog could market better than these guys.