Best DVD player for ~$2000

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Shayne Judge, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Shayne Judge

Shayne Judge Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if anyone could give some good options for the following DVD player. My friend is almost 100 percent looking for the very best video/audio out there without much concern for stuff like SACD and DVD-Audio (although those are nice perks). Avoiding the chroma bug would be a necessity.

2. Shayne Judge

Shayne Judge Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have some suggestions? My friend mentioned the Onkyo DV-S939, but I dont know much about this model.

3. Will Binegar

Will Binegar Auditioning

Although it's since been replaced by a newer model, the EAD Theatervision P is considered a reference level DVD player by the folks at Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity. It can be found at AudioGon for $2000 or less.

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Shayne, the Onkyo DV-S939 is a nice progressive-scan DVD player that also offers DVD-Audio playback. Check www.crutchfield.com for more information. For only $100-200, your friend could get the Integra RDV-9.1. Integra is Onkyo's higher-end line. The '9.1 looks very similar to the 'S939, but is built better inside and out and comes with a longer warranty (three years). He should be able to get the '9.1 for around $1800.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i think Marantz offers some high-end players that might be in your ballpark. i'd give them a look.
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT