Best DVD player for $200-$250??

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by steveKlein, Jun 28, 2006.

1. steveKlein

steveKlein Agent

just curious guys... i'm looking to get a new DVD player in the next 12-18 months (maybe sooner) and i was curious if there are really good players in the $200-$250 range.

i'm thinking about skipping this and just getting a playstation 3 to do the trick when it comes out. i don't know much about the playstation 3's dvd capability, but i would expect it to be a pretty solid player, right? also, it could play blu-ray discs, right?

basically... my question is should i spend the $200-$250 on a pretty good dvd player even though there's a decent chance i'll be getting a playstation 3 down the road... or should i skip the dvd player for now (keep using a crappy $75 apex 6 year old player).

and if getting a new dvd player is my best bet, what are some brands i should be looking at in my price range?

2. Leonardo F.L.

Leonardo F.L. Auditioning

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Screenwriter

Chris Gerhard
    For DVD-V and DVD-A, I agree the Oppo DV971H is a great choice. For redbook CD there are better choices and it doesn't do SACD but if that isn't a concern, I would recommend it.

Chris

4. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

The PS2 was a horrible dvd player according to Secrets, both for picture and for controls, so I wouldn't assume anything about the PS3, but it will surely play dvds and blu-ray. The Oppo is a great player. It is a DVI player and not HDMI, though they do include a DVI to HDMI cable in the box, which of course, will not transmit audio.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

If you get the remote, it is an acceptable DVD player, it is definitely not a good player. I agree, while the PS3 will be a BD player, that does not mean it will be a good one, as their goal was to hit a price point for a gaming system, not to make a top of the line BD player which is basically what they did with the PS2 and DVD.

Oppo also has the 970HD that is an HDMI player for just $149, though it lacks the Faroudja deinterlacing. It does do SACD though.

6. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

By that time you might pick up a HD player for that amount so if it was me, I would wait. Unless you can round up $150 more for HD right now.

7. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I agree with Sammi. The HD players will be in your price range by then.