What's new

Best DVD player choice for my Elite 510 RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
You know whats interesting about those shootout articles, is that that arcam doesn't do that well.

Now I am not saying that Spears and Munsil are wrong. But every magazine article I have read on the arcam says it has by far the best picture of any DVD player in a broad price range.

I find it odd that all the magazine experts love it to death, yet it runs as a bad buy in this case....

Rich

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Rich,

What deinterlacer chip is in the Arcam and what type of video DAC are they using?

(Stacey and Don push things to the limit in progressive quality evaluation. Many other reviewers and consumers - including myself - have to be trained to specifically notice deficiencies that some of their criteria are set up to distinquish. However, I consider "video education" as in fact the main reason for the AVS Shootouts! Ignore the Shootouts at your own eventual peril, IMHO. :) )

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Keep in mind that in "Magazine Land," Price=performance, whether it really does or not.:) I'm glad that Don and Stacey have gotten "real" and dispensed with that notion.

The only correct zoom mode for non-anamorphic titles is Zoom. Cinema Wide still provides a bit of non-linear stretching.

I'm going to do some interlaced-vs.-progressive comparisons on my set this week, and see what I come up with. My portable Toshiba SD-P2000 player actually provides both an interlaced and progressive component out, so I'll be able to at least get a feel on my set. I've only hooked it up to the TV once.

Still wishing for the FLI2300 to get used fully...

Todd

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
Todd,

"Cinema Wide still provides a bit of non-linear stretching."

This is not the case according to the mode pictures on Page 38 of my 510/610 manual. Circles on the screen when in Cinema Wide stay round in the middle and along the edges, just like they are shown for Zoom and unlike how the circles at the edge are shown when in the Natural Wide mode, where circles at the edges assume the horizontal stretching indicative of the non-linear edge stretching. Avia shows my Cinema Wide circles as staying round also.

On Page 38 the description of Cinema Wide says it's for "Vista" size images. Vista size is reference to "Vista Vision" format films and refers to movies in aspect ratios ranging from about 1.66:1 to 2.00:1, with 1.85:1 falling right in the middle. I use Cinema Wide for 1.85:1 non-anamorphic movies to move them right out to the sides while simultaneously pushing them about perfectly to the top and bottom for correct aspect ratio. It looks to me like Pio intended Cinama Wide and Zoom for perfectly dealing with non-anamorphic 1.85:1 and 2.35:1. I have a lot of non-anamorphic films in both of these aspect ratios and these Elite modes do just that. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks