Best DVD player? 108 Mhz?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Mitch Stevens, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I currently have a Sony NS700(P) DVD player, and while watching SW EP II, I noticed that it was EXTREMELY soft and far less detailed than other movies. This was a shock because most consider it one of the best transfers out there.

My TV is a Mits 65" Widescreen HDTV that has been properly calibrated using DVE and it looks wonderful with most DVD except EP II.

Then I was reading the "Down With Love" thread on the software portion of this forum. Someone mentioned that he too had problems with EP II being too soft, and lacking detail, UNTIL he bought a new DVD player that was operating at 108 MHz. I didn't even KNOW DVD players operated on MHz.

He stated that the picture became incredibly detailed and was no longer soft.

I immediately looked at my Sony and found out it's going at 54 Mhz. I looked at my dad's DVD player (Toshiba) and it's operating at 27 Mhz. Even the Panasonic RP-91 (which is considered one of the best DVD players out there) only has 54 Mhz.

My question is, how much can a faster Mhz DVD player affect picture quality? If a DVD player with 108 Mhz can greatly improve SW EP II, I can't imagine how much better it would display the titles that I consider to be reference.

Does anyone else have DVD player with 108 Mhz? How does it compare to DVD players that have 54 Mhz?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

That 108Mhz figure means nothing. The sharpness you get depends on the video circuity's frequency response. The ones with the flattest reponse (DVD video goes out only to about 6Mhz) are the old Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 models and the Denon DVD-1600. You can still buy new the Denon for around $300.

3. jason-celaya

jason-celaya Agent

Also what people dont always read in the secrets test is that the players are tested at their defaut settings, thus if a freq. response is off a bit it can be corrected with the players sharpness control if it has the feature (I believe I have a stacy spears PM that confirms this).

4. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The sharpness control in the DVD player doesn't always improve things. I tried the sharpness control in some models that had a loss of high frequencies but it caused a lot of ringing and didn't give a flat response like the top-rated Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 players. So I returned them and got an XP30 - I measured and its got perfect flat frequency response with normal settings.

6. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Mitch, bite the bullet and get the denon 1600. I also have a mitt 65" and the 1600 and it looks great even on SWII and I.

$300 for the denon is a steal.