What's new

Best DVD info websites? (1 Viewer)

John Eshleman

Auditioning
What is the best website to visit that gives info on DVD features, such as aspect ratio, audio, extras, etc.?

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
Link Removed lists that information with each of their reviews.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
For aspect ration, it begins and ends with Widescreen Review. To my knowledge, they are the only site that actually measure the aspect ratio of the displayed image rather than simply reading what's printed on the back of the box (which is often incorrect). For example, their review of MINORITY REPORT reports an AR of 2.40. DVDfile's review says simply 2.35 which is probably what is on the box.
For other info, I usually go to dvdfile.com. If they do not have a review of the disc, I go to Yahoo and search for:
"herbie rides again" dvd review

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy,
If only I was smart enough to use an example that was 100% true. :) Still, in this case WSR had the correct info while the other site did not.
Another example: MGM's disc of LAST TANGO IN PARIS. The packaging does not mention an aspect ratio. The only online review I could find was at dvdtown.com and they mention 1.66 which they must have got from imdb. The disc looked very overmatted to me, compared to the Criterion laser. I checked WSR and they gave the figure 1.90 which looks about right to me.
They also cite the AR of BARRY LYNDON as 1.58 which again looks about right to me. (DVDfile lists 1.66)
Does anyone know of another site with accurate AR information?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks