What's new

Best DVD for Rear Speaker Effects? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I've traded the Disc But I remember Rules of Engagement had excellent surrounds

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Yes, for wizbang action movies, but surrounds can be used extremely well for ambience in less active movies....

For example:

Shawshank redemption

Field of Dreams

Air Force One (not all the bullets, but the drone of the plane)

etc......

I guess what I am getting at is that I like it when surround use is active AND provides realism....

Roger Kint

Stunt Coordinator
I should clarify the question. So far re: the posts, half understood, while the other half might not have. It wasn't about surround side speakers but specifically the rear speaker(s). This would be DD EX and DTS-ES where you have either 1 or 2 rear speakers. So, what DVDs make the most use of the rear speaker(s)?

Paul Boyle

Stunt Coordinator
Roger - Two that have been mentioned will certainly keep your surround rears busy - they are Gladiator & The Haunting
I would also add The Phantom Menace (Pod Race)
I also agree with the post about the extra ambience using the rears that some films have The Others is a good example IMO - Paul ;)

Chris Xolotl

Second Unit
For some reason. STIGMATA comes to mind. I think it was dripping water or something like that. crisp and clean.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'll add:

Toy Story 2 (DD EX)-- Disney/Pixar

Bones (DTS-ES Discrete 6.1)-- New Line

Se7en: Platinum Edition (DTS-ES Discrete 6.1)-- New Line

But for sheer rock 'em, sock 'em 6.1 surround with loads of clean, low bass it's still The Haunting SE with DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 created from the 24 bit archive master stems at Skywalker Ranch-- yowza! The Phantom Menace is nothing compared to the total system destroying ferocity of this baby. Too bad the movie itself stunk to high heaven!

Dan

AllenD

Second Unit
It's not EX or ES but Virus (?) is great. You really feel like you're inside a ship in certain scenes. It's not a great movie, but you asked for rear sound effects ladenned titles.

FrankD

Stunt Coordinator
Hey go whole Hog! Get the Ultimate 3-D collection by IMAX at Amazon.com. OK the movies are not the greatest (you get 3 DVDs). I have viewed one so far - "Haunted Castle" and it makes wicked use of the rears. Basically in several scenes the main character talks in the rear to make you part of the movie. Oh yah the 3-D effects are the best I have seen to date - uses fairly new technology with shutter glasses included in the package!

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks