What's new

Best DVD concerts? (1 Viewer)

Chuck L

Screenwriter
A new one that is great is Pat Benatar's Summer Vacation 2001. I know that it can be ordered through her website and I believe that their is too be a retail release soon as well.
This is something that she and Neil put together.
I also really like Fleetwood Mac's The Dance and Cher Live at the MGM grand, some neat extra's on that one.

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
I think that BET's Jazz Channel DVD presentation of BB King is great. The Earth Wind & Fire concert in Japan is good and the regulars 'Eagles Hell Freezed Over', Fleetwood Mac, and Kenny Loggins are good.

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
Geno ,there are some Stevie Ray Vaughn DVD's Out there. I don't have any yet but I am getting one hopefully for Christmas. I have seen a clip of "Cold Shot" on a compilation of various artist dvd and it looks & sounds good. I think it's from his "Live in Austin Concert" DVD.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Though much, much more than simply a concert DVD, Criterion's GIMME SHELTER is a must-have.
And I highly, highly recommend Bert Stern's film JAZZ ON A SUMMER'S DAY (Newport '58).
Also, Talking Heads' STOP MAKING SENSE.
Stevie Ray's LIVE AT THE EL MOCAMBO is a brilliant performance, but the video/audio quality doesn't quite match that brilliance.
(Next year: Criterion 3-disc boxset for MONTEREY POP. Also, THE LAST WALTZ!)

Another great concert DVD to get is George Benson's "Absolutely Live" from Pioneer Artists. It's available in 2 different pressings. The first one has a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track and a 48k/24-bit PCM stereo track. The second pressing features a DTS 5.1 surround track and the stereo track in Dolby Digital 192 bitrate. Both pressings, however, feature a state-of-the-art anamorphic widescreen transfer from HDTV video! This is my favorite DVD to show off what DVD can do with acoustic music concerts.:emoji_thumbsup:

Nick Zender

Auditioning
I find you can get lots of reviews by going to Amazon.com and searching in the dvd section by artist.

At least you will get some varying opinions.

Here is my list of favorites:

1 Eagles Hell- Freezes Over

Loved everything about this one.

2 Fleetwood Mac-The Dance

Good Picture Great sound

3 Alice In Chains-Unplugged

Also have the other one, which is the more heavy

and is made up of video presentations. I like the

unplugged version best...

4 ZOOM Electric Light Orchestra

Great quality picture and sound and like 23 songs.

I was surprised how many songs I forgot about.

5 Concert for Monsterat--Great Show

Excellent quality sound and picture, includes many artists

Eric Clapton, Elton John, Sting, Phil Collins Paul

McCartney, Carl Perkins, Mark Knopfler etc..

Give this one a shot..It was a very pleasant surprise.

6 Eric Clapton- Live in Hyde Park

Was pleasnatly surprised with this one...great sound and

picture and some awesome guitar playing by Eric.

7 Steely Dan- Two Against Nature

This one is a must own for any Steely Dan Fan, excellent

quality recording. For me I admire the musical skills

but it is just not my thing. I don't mind listening to

the music and even like it a little, but just wouldn't

choose it on my own....

8.Peter Frampton-Live In Detroit

Very good picture and sound.This one has grown on me

Actually like it more each time I hear it.

It was worth the money just to watch the voice box in

action.

9.James Taylor-Beacon Theatre

Excellent video and sound-a must have if you like James

Taylor.

Others I have bought

1. U2 Live in Boston....Just doesn't do it for me.

Nothing wrong with the disk, just not a fan I guess

2. Alice Cooper-Brutally Live

More thrash metal sound than I expected and just didn't

give me what I was hoping for. Nice quality though.

3. Joe Satriani-Live in San Francisco

Didn't care for video and the sound did not do well on

my system. I can't explain it other than to say I usually

keep cranking up and on this I kept turning it down.

Hope any of this helps someone.

Ape

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Some of my favorites.

Peter Frampton - Live In Detroit

Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same

Deep Purple - Come Hell or High Water

Black Sabbath - The Last Supper

SRV - Live at the El Mocambo

Cheap Trick - Silver

Brad_W

Screenwriter
As predicted, I would highly recommend:
Dream Theater: Metropolis 2000 Scenes From New York

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Are there any Nirvana concert DVDs out there someone? probably not, but maybe just maybe something they did before Kurt Cobain died, that got transferred to DVD? probably just wishful thinking on my part;)

joe goswami

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Goswami
My main reason for having a DVD player w/ DD & DTS is to watch Concerts Concerts, & more Concerts!!!!! I have as many concert DVD's as I do movies.
Here's my list in no particular order :
Keys To Ascension -YES - this one gets my awards for subwoofer challenging bass, awesome songs, & best clarity overall. Rick Wakeman is at his finest. And ooohhh those mini-moogs!!!!
Eric Clapton & Friends - Benefit Concert For the Crossroads Center - This gets gets my award for best use of surround channels for hall ambience. Also has very sound overall. His performance with Sheryl Crow on Little Wing compares with the one version he did on the Rainbow Concert for Ronnie Laine CD. Jim Keltner's drums give your entire system a workout and David Sanborn's ultrafast sax playing gives my system's midrange an excellent test.
The Rolling Stones Live At The Max - Saw this at an IMAX theatre in Toronto. Sounded like crap!! So why is it on my list? Mixed down to 5.1DD and THX'd takes the harshy's out and coax's the bass across your front three channels & subwoofer. Its Bill Wyman's last tour with the group.
The Who - Live at The Isle of Wight - FOr a 30 + year old film and soundtrack. This gives us The Who at their energetic peak before alcohol totally screwed them up post Who's Next. Great remastered sound and decent picture quality.
Emerson, Lake, & Palmer - Pictures at an Exhibition live - Blew my mind when I saw this on the shelves. Had to have and wasn't entirely dissapointed. The spiderman cartoon was a nice touch near the end of this treasure treat but then they let it go for too long (Spiderman that is). Still a rare joy to watch. Keith Emerson's very primitive and sometimes unpredictable Moog Synthesizer is a thing of beauty. Remastered in Pro - Logic and containss typical cheesy early seventies special effects.
King Crimson - Vroom Vroom - Awe come on, this one set the standard and raised the bar of how music DVD's should be done. 2.5 yrs. later and no one has come out with a more imagintive DVD.
Pink Floyd's - The Wall - The one comes as a close second to Vroom Vroom. No explanation neccessary.
The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over - This DVD is the reason I ademantly converted (upgraded) my system to DTS. Will always be a reference disc in my collection.
The Beatles - Yellow Submarine - With the passing of George Harrison, this DVD remains stiil remains something special that I will cherish and defintely turn my 11 month old son onto.
Led Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same - Bonzo's 20 min. drum solo, 45 min. of Dazed & Confused, and those cool dream sequences. This one's a keeper. Good remastered sound and decent picture quality.
My Still Need To Buy List :
Rush - Different Stages, Live
Genesis - The Way We Walk
ELP - Live At The Royal Albert Hall

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Here's another thumbs up for Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band Live in New York City. This is a great concert video with excellent sound. As an added bonus, it was filmed, not video taped, and the picture quality is outstanding. The 1st disc is essentially what was shown on HBO some months ago, the 2nd disc is songs that didn't make it into the broadcast. Over 3 hours of great music. Nobody works a stage any harder than Bruce Springsteen.:emoji_thumbsup:

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
Also, there is reported to be a DVD of Joe Jackson's amazing last tour coming out some time in the indeterminate future
Does a musical equivalent of the digital bits exist where one could get information about upcoming music releases? I'm talking about like a "music central" for DVD-Audio/SCAD/DVD Etc.

It just seems like so many titles get released in stealth mode and I find it frustrating. If a system existed that could categorize titles as 'cold day in hell when this is released' or 'tied up due to legal complications check back in 7 weeks' or 'my dog chewed through the cable of the mixing board, release rescheduled for three weeks from now' or 'Released 3000 copies in Buffalo, everyone else must wait 2 more months'

You get the idea... think a website could get this info?

Back on track, I recently viewed a DVD documentary of the 1958 Newport Jazz festival which with good performances and video quality of: Louis Armstrong, Bob Brookmeyer, Buck Clayton, Eric Dolphy, Jimmy Giuffre, Chico Hamilton, Jim Hall, Mahalia Jackson, Jo Jones, Thelonious Monk, Gerry Mulligan, Anita O’Day, Sonny Stitt, Jack Teagarden.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Here's another thumbs up for Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band Live in New York City. This is a great concert video with excellent sound. As an added bonus, it was filmed, not video taped, and the picture quality is outstanding.
It was shot on hi-def video and the look was subdued somewhat in post production to be more film-like.

Regards,

John K Carter

Stunt Coordinator
As mentioned earlier The Who & Special Guests Live at Royal Albert Hall is great. DTS, 5.1 DD, 16:9 Enhanced for widescreen. Even the extras on the 2nd disk are enhanced for widescreen, all concert DVDs should be like this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks