Best DVD Audio Player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyN, Sep 13, 2001.

1. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

I was debating between SACD and DVD Audio since I don't have the funds for both right away. I found this useful thread discussing DVD A vs SACD http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/039696.html
    Now that I've made my decision on what type of hardware to buy first I would kindly like to know in your opinions, what are the best DVD Audio players out?
    Please give 1-5 score for sound, video, features, value in that order.
    I like the Denon DVM-4800 for it's picture quality and build, but I can't stand carousel changers or any kind of changers and the DVD 2800 doesn't have DVD audio.
    The Pioneer Elite DV-38A look fantastic but is a little pricey considering I'd rather invest more money later on in an SACD player.
    How much is the Onkyo DVD Audio player?
    ------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
    JKB

2. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Obviously check out the Panasonic RP91. Its a great DVDA player that has received good marks from HTF members.
    Also look at the new JVC models that are very reasonably priced even at Crutchfield.
    JohnG
    ------------------

3. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

The Denon DVM-4800 is an equivalent player (video-wise) of the Panasonic RP-91 in my findings so far...it has exactly the same menus. Performance seems to be similar except for the glitch which obviously needs to be fixed-this can be found in my other thread about the 4800 here .
    The bass management feature in the Denon makes it a clear favorite in my book. What was lacking in my Toshiba 9200 and Panny RP-91K is present in this player..and the difference is clear.
    That said...Please, Denon, get your act together and get this player right. I only hope I have part of a bad batch.
    ------------------
    Sound InSight Audio Video
    My Home Theater Pics
    My Equipment List
    My DVD Collection
    My LD Collection

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

The Toshiba SD-9200 is now listing at US$995, probably to clear stock before the 2002 models get introduced at CES, but that's just a guess.
    The Onkyo might have had a similar price reduction.
    Both would be good choices, both are better on DVD-A than the Panasonic, and should be at twice the price [​IMG]
    Best player in an absolute sense? Good question.
    I haven't heard the EAD Theatervision Ultra and Meridian's 598 isn't out yet. I'd imagine these two would be on the list as potentially at that level!
    Regards,
    ------------------
    John Kotches
    Contributing Writer
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I've read that the Onkyo DV-S939 is better as an audio component than the Toshiba SD-9200. For example, a British home theater magazine a few months ago did a face-off among various DVD-Audio players and rated the Onkyo better than the Toshiba SD-900E, which is the European version of the SD-9200. If I were going to spend $1500 or so to get the 'S939, I would consider the two Integra models, however. I saw them at a local store about a month ago, and both of them, especially the RDV-1, look sweet. Of course, the RDV-1 is much more expensive than the 'S939. In the price range of the 'S939, I'd have to look at the new Denon DVM-4800.
    Has anyone compared the Rotel RDV-1080 to the Onkyo/Integra or Toshiba players? I saw the '1080 at the same dealer who had the Integra models and was not impressed with the build quality of the Rotel. I expected a more solid component from Rotel. Of course, that does mean that it sounds bad. I would expect it to be one of the leaders.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime