What's new

Best DVD Audio Player (1 Viewer)

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
I was debating between SACD and DVD Audio since I don't have the funds for both right away. I found this useful thread discussing DVD A vs SACD http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/039696.html
Now that I've made my decision on what type of hardware to buy first I would kindly like to know in your opinions, what are the best DVD Audio players out?
Please give 1-5 score for sound, video, features, value in that order.
I like the Denon DVM-4800 for it's picture quality and build, but I can't stand carousel changers or any kind of changers and the DVD 2800 doesn't have DVD audio.
The Pioneer Elite DV-38A look fantastic but is a little pricey considering I'd rather invest more money later on in an SACD player.
How much is the Onkyo DVD Audio player?
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
JKB

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Obviously check out the Panasonic RP91. Its a great DVDA player that has received good marks from HTF members.
Also look at the new JVC models that are very reasonably priced even at Crutchfield.
JohnG
------------------

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
The Denon DVM-4800 is an equivalent player (video-wise) of the Panasonic RP-91 in my findings so far...it has exactly the same menus. Performance seems to be similar except for the glitch which obviously needs to be fixed-this can be found in my other thread about the 4800 here .
The bass management feature in the Denon makes it a clear favorite in my book. What was lacking in my Toshiba 9200 and Panny RP-91K is present in this player..and the difference is clear.
That said...Please, Denon, get your act together and get this player right. I only hope I have part of a bad batch.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
The Toshiba SD-9200 is now listing at US$995, probably to clear stock before the 2002 models get introduced at CES, but that's just a guess.
The Onkyo might have had a similar price reduction.
Both would be good choices, both are better on DVD-A than the Panasonic, and should be at twice the price
wink.gif

Best player in an absolute sense? Good question.
I haven't heard the EAD Theatervision Ultra and Meridian's 598 isn't out yet. I'd imagine these two would be on the list as potentially at that level!
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I've read that the Onkyo DV-S939 is better as an audio component than the Toshiba SD-9200. For example, a British home theater magazine a few months ago did a face-off among various DVD-Audio players and rated the Onkyo better than the Toshiba SD-900E, which is the European version of the SD-9200. If I were going to spend $1500 or so to get the 'S939, I would consider the two Integra models, however. I saw them at a local store about a month ago, and both of them, especially the RDV-1, look sweet. Of course, the RDV-1 is much more expensive than the 'S939. In the price range of the 'S939, I'd have to look at the new Denon DVM-4800.
Has anyone compared the Rotel RDV-1080 to the Onkyo/Integra or Toshiba players? I saw the '1080 at the same dealer who had the Integra models and was not impressed with the build quality of the Rotel. I expected a more solid component from Rotel. Of course, that does mean that it sounds bad. I would expect it to be one of the leaders.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks