What's new

Best DVD-A Surround Mixes (1 Viewer)

Jason Garrett

Stunt Coordinator
I've got Beck's 'Sea Change' and The Lip's 'Yoshimi' which I love. Any more suggestions for surround mixes?

Is the Pink Floyd disc out? If not when?

AricB

Second Unit
No word on a pink floyd release on dvd-a.

The steely dan discs are supposed to be good. I have everything must go, very good, and Gaucho on sacd, excellent as well.
I have the Elton John and Who tommy on sacd, the dvd-a should be similar, they are good.
Geoff Tate(of queensryche)-self titled is pretty good
Stevie Stevens-flamenco a go go is ok, albeit very differnt music
REM-automatic for the people
Ministry-animositisomina-pretty good for a silverline release, but not their best album

Porcupine Tree-In Absentia-very good, good band i had never heard of til this disc came out on dvd-a

cwhite

Second Unit
"The Captain and Me" by the Doobie Brothers has one of the better surround mixes on either format.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
AIX Records:
Zephyr Voices Unbound
Mark Huffsteter Big Band Gathered Around

Universal Music Group:
Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Steely Dan Gaucho

Many others, but these are some standouts not previously mentioned in my collection.

Cheers,

Jesper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jesper Nielsen
John,

I ordered Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road for 14 days ago and still haven't got it! :frowning:

Jason,

Both Queen albums are great, Fleetwood Mac (Rumours), Aaron Neville (I have those 2 from Silverline, haven't got the Universal version), The Doors : LA Woman and more

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
My favorites are Grover Washington Jr- WINELIGHT, Steely Dan- GAUCHO and Elton John- GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD.

What I love about the WINELIGHT mix is that it's sparse with the sax placed across the front while Eric Gale's guitar is mixed into the rear channnel along with the incidental percussion and the background vocals. The mix is very intimate.

GAUCHO is perfectly placed. Excellent vocal placement along with the backgrounds (horns, backup vocals, percussion, incidental music mixed in the rears while the front soundstage is solid and the lead vocals excellent!

Those above mixes are done by Elliot Scheiner!

GOODBYE YELLOW BRICK ROAD is excellent! Better than I thought it would be! The rhythmn section mixed very intimate. Lots of Davey Johnston's guitar mixed into the rears along with the backing vocals and the orchestrations mixed over all 5 channels! Another example of an intimate mix! A great mix from Greg Penny and will love to hear what he does with the rest of Elton's catalog!!

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Yoshimi and Sea Change were already mentioned, but my other favorite is Glen Phillips' ABULUM. It isn't a showy mix, but has some great ambience.

Dan B

Screenwriter
I will second the recommendation of REM's Automatic For the People. The sound quality is mediocre, but the surround mix is very very nice. (It's also done by Elliot Scheiner, so you can see a pattern here!)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Fleetwood Mac: Rumors
Metallica: Metallica (Black Album)
Natalie Merchant: Tigerlily
Doors: La Woman

Steve Kuester

Second Unit
Blueman Group - Audio

Very aggressive mix. This one case where the multi-channel mix absolutely trumps the original 2 channel CD version.

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Without a doubt, the number one DVD-A mix to date has to be Flaming Lips.Absolutely stunning and dizzying. I played it for a friend, who is a Lips fan,the other day and he was speechless. They are polling their fans via their website to pick the next recording from the back catalog to be mixed 5.1.

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
Another vote for Midnight Oil, should be required listening for every mixer/engineer?.

A third for Blue Man Group, although I lost use of my Tempest after a work out with this disc:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks