What's new

Best DTS experience yet! (1 Viewer)

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Im kind of new at HT so my horizons are limited but I had such a good experience I just have to tell somebody.

I had some credit with amazon so I decided to buy a couple more DVD's. Looked around and couldn't decide what I wanted, then I ran across Roy Orbison Black and White Night. Never really thought about live music on DVD but decided to give it a try based on reviews on amazon.

All I can say is WOW! Never heard anything like that before. All I needed was a smoke filled room and a weller and coke and im there.

I highly recommend this DVD to anyone who appreciates

music

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Yes,one of the songs from that title is on DTS demo disc #4 and it is very good.Also be sure and pick up a copy of the eagles Hell Freezes Over,one of the best dts titles imho

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Along with Roy Orbison and the Eagles, you may want to check out Peter Frampton - Live From Detroit. Not only is this concert in DTS, but the video is an anamorphic widescreen transfer from a HD master.

Also, while it's not DTS, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - Live From New York is an incredible two-disc concert DVD. This has quickly become my favorite concert disc. It also sports an anamorphic widescreen transfer from a HD master (from the HBO special).

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
From reading the leading title I thought someone had stumbled across the "Casper" DTS LaserDisc.... :)

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
Another excellent one is the Steely Dan Two Against Nature and Don Henley's solo DVD, both are full-rate DTS and excellent.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
DTS asleep at the wheel, again. A DTS DVD of Casper would take them to the top. A title for 'everyone', with a soundtrack that shows off every room and outdoor set with a differant 'feel'. But even though, 'someone' with their name on this movie, who also has their name with DTS, they still can't get it done!

For film's [agree w/all music selection above] Waterworld [too bad about the movie], Red Violin [ok, movie], & T2 [you decide].

Greg_L_C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies. I've now got the Eagles on order and the Bee Gees (not for me, for the wife)

I've seen a lot of articles about DTS and Casper laserdisc, will that ever be released on DVD?

JustinW

Grip
After reading this thread I decided to buy this DVD as I'm a big fan of Roy and having just finished watching it I've got one word, unbelievable, this truly is a fantastic disc of a fantastic musician.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
:frowning: I bought my reciever before DTS came out...too bad I'm broke. On one hand, if I would have waited a year, I coulda got DTS, on the other hand, I would have missed watching so many cool DVD's in Dolby Digital...man, the sacrifices I make...:D

If you like the Electric Light Orchestra, their "Zoom" tour DTS disc is excellent. Made me start adding more DTS titles to my collection.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Hello all. Hands down, the best DTS experience is the ORIGINAL DTS experience: Jurassic Park Laserdisc. I've heard it at low levels, moderate levels, and THX levels and it is always perfect. Next to Episode I, this is some of the best use of low frequency I've heard yet. Anyone with the ability to get this, GET IT! I haven't heard the DTS DVD, but I'm too happy to spend $20 on the DVD. DTS: Hear it for the first time, everytime.

Aaron Garman

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
Along with Roy Orbison and the Eagles, you may want to check out Peter Frampton - Live From Detroit. Not only is this concert in DTS, but the video is an anamorphic widescreen transfer from a HD master.
If you want this DTS du=isk, check out buy.com Link Removed
They have been clearancing out these for 4.95! I just got mine and it sound awesome!

Oscar

Second Unit
My best DTS experience has been Apollo 13, or should i say U-571, i truly dont know, i plan on buying DTS CDs

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Diana Krall Live in Paris has a great DTS track
I second that!

The best[sounding] music disc with DTS to me is:"Celebrating the Music of Weather Report".This is a DVD-A title,but even in DTS it blows most any CD away, I've heard to date,I can only imagine it on the High resolution tracks.

On movies:The Haunting ES Discrete,hands down!

Peter Gizzi

Agent
Elton John's One Night Only, although it doesn't say on the packaging, has DTS selection in menu. This live concert recorded at Madison Square Garden in 2000 truely rocks.

Here is a small list of the most enjoyable concert DVD videos that I own (I prefer buying concert DVDs over movies because, unlike a movie, you can listen to music over and over again):

#1 Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (DTS)

#2 Roger Waters - In the Flesh Live (no DTS but a simply amazing DVD experience)

#3 Elton John - One Night Only (DTS)

#4 Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (DTS) ***KILLER SOUND***

#5 Roy Orbison - Black and White Night

I would have to say the one that always remains in the DVD tray is the Roger Waters' DVD because I am simply amazed at the whole experience it delivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks