Best DTS -ES discreet amp and progressive DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rolando, Aug 9, 2001.

1. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Don't know who else to turn to except you guys,
    I have always been an Elite man and now that I want to upgrade to DTS ES amp and progressive DVD player Elite does not seem the way to go anymore...
    My first amp was a pro-logic vsx-49 from Elite and my last one was a THX-Ultra DD 5.1 VSX-09 TX from them as well. DV05 is the Player I have for now.
    My logical choice seemed VSX-39TX since it has DD-EX and compatible with DTS-ES BUT… not DTS ES discreet AND I would need and extra amp to power the 2 rear speakers. Because even though it will decode and send a signal for 7.1 channels it will only power 5. Damn…
    Then for a new player where else would I look but the DV-37 right? Well I keep hearing about it dropping the ball often with it’s flag reading progressive output.
    What to do? Even my RPTV is an Elite, the PRO-710 and it hurts but looks like I must look elsewhere for the best.
    PLEASE, I need a new amp and it MUST have DTS-ES DISCREET and a new progressive DVD player. Which are the best. I mean not nice looking, not cool not good name just plain old THE BEST.
    I need the best of each BAR NONE regardless of price just so I have a basis for comparison then the best amp under $6000.00 and best DVD under $4000.00 and WHY.
    Help me guys you are my only hope.

2. Robert McClanahan

Robert McClanahan Stunt Coordinator

The best receiver on the market that I am aware of is from B&K but I forget the model.I read a review and it is especially good with two channel music.As far as dvd players go and since money is no object,you should wait for Krells new player coming out.I will do some research for you and give you a better response.

3. Rob Roth

Rob Roth Stunt Coordinator

I think what you are really talking about is a full-featured A/V receiver, not just an amp. You will certainly wish to demo the following: The Denon 5800/3800 series, the top line Onkyo/Integra receivers, and the B&K 307. I have the B&K and have been pleased. Depending on your speakers any of these top pieces (which range from $3K-4K) will fit the bill. Note that full ES capability is an upgrade with the B&K.
    If your budget is $6K, I would strongly urge you to consider separate components; a pre/pro for $2-3K and the remainder for dedicated power amps.

4. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

I guess the title should have been best A/V Receiver then. How can modify title? And please, I was hoping for a few more responses.
    I hve heard a lot about Onkyo 989 and Integra. What do you guys think?

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Seriously, I don't think you should go with another receiver.
    Try your hand at separates.
    If the Outlaw Audio Model 950 pre-amp with DTS-ES Discrete and ProLogic II (supposedly with software upgradeability) is as good as some are suggesting for only $899, then that might be a good choice.
    Then use the bulk of the funds to buy really nice amplifiers. Sherbourn makes good, less expensive amps. The 1500A is a 5-channel design with XLR balanced inputs in case you ever want a more sophisticated pre-amp down the line. They have a companion stereo or monoblock amp that have matching power specs. and XLR balanced inputs.
    ATI makes good amps, and so does Parasound.
    That combination would be better in terms of flexibility, quality, and upgradeability than a receiver IMHO.
    If you have no use for DVD-Audio, then wait for the new Faroudja/Sage chip based progressive scan players. Otherwise, the Panasonic DVD-RP91 has a good bang vs. buck quotient.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
    [Edited last by Dan Hitchman on August 10, 2001 at 06:03 PM]

6. Jordan Jensen

Speaking of the Faroudja/Sage chip, any rumors on who else might be coming out with a DVD player with this technology, besides Kenwood and Phillips as stated on the DCDI website?

7. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Rolando,
    You are correct. The Onkyo 989 is available, currently, with DTS-ES discreet capabilities.
    So is the Denon 5800, 3801 and 02, as well as the 4802 (September release).
    The Outlaw is not out yet and B&K hasn't gotten any info on the DTS-ES upgrade yet.
    You MUST audition these pieces before you plunk down the cash. They are all about $3k with the exception of the 3800 series from Denon.
    IMHO, with receivers like the 5800 and 307, the lines between integrated receivers and pre/pros has been blurred.
    The Outlaw may be an incredible pre/pro, but you will need to add external amplification...which is already contained in these mega receivers. These AVRs also have a full set of pre-outs to be used down the road as a pre/pro if you want to add your own set of amps.
    As someone else mentioned, the B&K is supposed to have an upgrade on the way....as is the Denon 5800. Upgradable, self-contained, and fully integrated....means less wire mess, incredible sound quality, and relatively future proof.
    Somthing unique to this new line of receivers from Denon, Onkyo, and B&K.
    Good Luck
    Sounds like a fun weekend of auditioning,
    Jeremy

8. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Rolanda Pioneer Elite is releasing a new receiver in October with DTS-ES discreet along with Dolby EX. It is a new flagship receiver to replace the VSX-39TX. It will be the VSX-49TX. I currently have the VSC-39TX & will be upgrading to the VSX-49TX when it comes out. According to my sources it will have 7 channels of amplification & doesn't need the extra amplifier to power the back speakers. It also will have 160 watts per channel & include DTS-ES Discreet.
    I also currently have the DV-38A hooked up to my Pioneer Elite PRO-710 & I don't see a chroma problem or any problem with it reading flags. It looks great on my RPTV. So in my opinion you don't have to leave Pioneer Elite to get the products & features that you want. Demo a DV-37 or DV-38A & judge for yourself. I haven't regretted my decision since purchasing my player.
    By the way they are also releasing a new RPTV in the next couple of months that will allow progressive scan in all modes (natural wide, cinema wide, zoom & full screen). I'm like you I've always had Pioneer Elite & have never gone wrong with them. I also have never had any problems with their products. Wait a couple of months & check out the new receiver & demo the DVD player. I think you will be surprised. If you have any questions feel free to ask me. I'm a Pioneer Elite customer for life also. You just can't go wrong with their product.

9. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

My friend, a new DTS-ES discreet amp from Elite is good news indeed. I was starting to panic. So far I had never regretted but a full-fledged Elite man. Even my CD player is an Elite. Well I was a little disappointed when I found out that the VSX-39 was only DTS-ES matrix compatible AND no amplification for the rears. But if you say an equivalent or better model than say Onkyo 989 and other DTS ES discreet with full 7.1 amplification is on the way from the people I love and trust then… BRING IT ON!
    That only leaves the DVD player though; I have heard not so good things about it. Now since I also have the PRO-710 I was told I don’t really need a progressive player because it already has a line doubler. However it only seems to in FULL mode. Which means if it is not anamorphic then you have to choose another setting like theatre wide and bye bye line doubling and hello very visible scan lines…
    Does the DV 37 or DV 38A also provide scaling to watch 4:3 movies or non-anamorphic movies in FULL mode without being “squished”?
    Anyone have any other opinions? I admit I am quite biased and am easily convinced of Elite’s abilities to produce a perfect product.

10. KeithR

KeithR Second Unit

For what its worth, I have heard the B&K won't be DTS Discrete upgradable...something about Motorola DSPs not being upgradeable.

11. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Rolando the DV-38A when using the progressive signal does lock in full mode on the Pioneer Elite T.V. It's not the DVD players fault, it's the T.V. that locks in full mode with a progressive signal. The DV-38A doesn't have a scaling feature like a couple of the newer players but I'm sure that Pioneer Elite will come out with one that will.
    Pioneer Elite also is coming out with 3 new Elite T.V.'s that will not lock in full mode with a progessive signal this fall.
    I can tell a difference on anamorphic movies on my Pioneer Elite T.V. Yes the T.V. does have a good line doubler but I can tell a difference with the progessive mode on the DVD player. It's not as big a difference as with other T.V.'s without a great built-in line doubler on the T.V. but you can definitely tell a difference. The DVD player gives a beautiful picture. I watched "Sleepy Hollow" tonight & the picture was beautiful.
    I contacted Pioneer today & they said their new Pioneer Elite Summer 2001 catalog will be released next month with the new products they are going to release in the next 6 months. It sounds like you're a Pioneer Elite man like me. You might want to wait until the new catalog comes out to see what they have to offer. Hopefully they will offer a progressive DVD player that has scaling features for those of us that have already purchased a Pioneer Elite T.V. that locks in full mode with a progressive signal. You should check out their Pioneer Elite TZ-700 speaker system. You can get it for a great price now. Not the list price on the website. I've had them for about a year now and the sound is awesome. Talk about the bass. They have 300W subs in both front mains. Let me know what you decide to buy. I can't wait for the new catalog.

12. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

Stan you rock!
    Any idea if the new receiver will have Pro-Logic 2? not really going to use it but curious. Any idea were I can get more info on this? Who or what is your source for this info? I NEED, I NEED!!!
    You have Elite speakers? Honestly how are they? And have you heard any other amplifiers/receivers?
    Anyone else?

13. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Rolando I haven't heard if Dolby Prologic 2 will be included on the receiver. I talked with Pioneer this week & they said that the new catalog is coming out in September & the new receiver should be out in October.
    You can go to www.pioneerelectronics.com and click on the Pioneer Home products link at the top of the page. Scroll down to elite products. When the Elite page comes up go to the bottom of the page where it says press room or press releases. When the press release menu comes up click on the drop down box & scroll down to home products. The links will come up for the new products they are going to be releasing. The specs for the VSX-49TX is included under new receivers being released. It also tells about the new T.V.'s being released.
    It doesn't mention anything about an external amplifier for the rear speakers on the VSC-49TX specs.
    You can't go wrong with Pioneer Elite Rolando. Wait just a little longer.

14. Stan T

Stan T Stunt Coordinator

Oh yeah. Forgot to mention the TZ-700 Pioneer Elite speaker system. It really rocks. When friends come over to watch a movie their jaw drops when they here the sound these speakers produce. They have 300W subs in each front speaker so the bass really shakes the room. They look great also. I've had them for about a year. If you get a chance to demo them be sure to. You'll really be impressed.