Best driver for a sealed box sub (music only, no HT?)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Javier_Huerta, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

So, now that my first project (Tempest AA) is well under way [​IMG], and with a new home project, I was thinking about building a sub for my personal system.

The Tempest will be used for a pair of piston speakers - I think they'll sound pretty good, since both are ported. But the next sub *has* to be a sealed design, since my second system has a sealed woofer (or so my logic goes).

Considering I'd like the best extension possible, and that my speakers can't play too loud, *and* that I'd love to go sealed, what options do I have? I was thinking about the 12" Titanic. Is there any other driver I should be considering?

Thanks for your help!

Javier.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

3. Javier_Huerta

Jack, wouldn't a sealed sub be a better match for a sealed speaker than a vented one?

4. Javier_Huerta

I'd love to build a vented sub for my sealed speakers, but I wonder about group delay. Especially when they are electrostatics. I'd like to have the lowest group delay possible, but an IB is out of the question. Hence - the sealed sub.

I don't care too much about group delay on the ported speakers, since they are in my living room, and I don't think I'll use them for much critical listening...

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Adire DPL12 is what I'd build in a 75 liter box.

6. Javier_Huerta

Great... thanks a lot, Andrew & Jack! I'll check out the DPL. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

Re: Sealed/ported sats/sub.

Actually, it depends on the application. If you use an A/V Pre-pro or receiver with bass management, any sub is best mated to sealed mains, when the mains are set to 'small'.

The standard HP filter is 2nd order (12 dB/octave). When applied to a sealed (2nd order roll off) speaker, the result is a 4th order, or 24 dB/octave slope.

The standard LP filter is 4th order (24 dB/octave), which, when applied to a sub, yields a matching 4th order slope.

OTOH, ported mains (when set to 'small') don't match any sub because the 2nd order HP filter, when applied to a ported speaker (24 dB/octave roll off + 12 dB/octave filter = 36 dB/octave), usually leaves a hole at crossover when mated with the 24 dB/octave LP filter.

With ported mains, it's better to set them as 'large', run a sweep and graph to determine their F3, in room, and set the sub's LP to 1/2 to 1 octave above that.