What's new

Best DREAM THEATER? (1 Viewer)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I bought Dream Theater's first cd a few years ago and loved "Pull Me Under".
What do fans consider their best cds?
JohnG
------------------

Brad_W

Screenwriter
1. Images and Words
2. A Change of Seasons
3. Awake
4. Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory
5. Once in a Live Time A live album yes, but still awesome!
6. Falling Into Infinity
7. When Day and Dream Unite
Plus, they were first called, Majesty.
Again, as much as people get sick of me saying this, I will say it again and again and again:
See my webpage for my tattoo that DT fans will appreciate. I met DT during the Awake tour and they were all cool. Buy the DVD!
and don't forget the plethora of side projects such as:
Nightmare Cinema
Liquid Tension Experiment
Mullmuzer (sp?)
and so on and so forth.
------------------
"People = Sh*t" - Slipknot
My Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on November 16, 2001 at 02:58 PM]

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Dream Theater
1. Images and Words
2. Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory
3. Meropolis 2000: Live Scenes From New York (DVD)
4. A Change of Seasons
5. Awake
6. Once in a Live Time
7. Falling Into Infinity
8. When Day and Dream Unite
Other Projects
1. Liquid Drum Theater (Mike's Instructional VHS set)
2. Liquid Tension Experiment 2
3. Liquid Tension Experiment 1
4. Transatlantic: SMPTe
5. Mullmuzzler: Keep it to Yourself
Nice tat Brad!
------------------
JB
My baloney has a first name it's H-O-M-E-R my baloney has a second name it's H-O-M-E-R

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Thanks for the replies.
I have "Images and Words" and also "Metropolis Part 2".
I will pick up the DVD disc, "A Change Of Seasons", "Awake" and the new live one "Scenes...".
DT is a very tight band.
JohnG
:)
------------------

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand how a bunch of obviously intelligent and thoughtful DT fans could be so wrong :)
Scenes From A Memory
Images and Words
Awake
A Change of Seasons
Once in a Live Time
Falling Into Infinity
When Day and Dream Unite
It's not a case of 'the latest is the greatest'. I just think that it's the best. I've been listening to Images and Words since it came out in 1992. I love it. I just love SFAM a little bit more.
I sincerely hope that the new one 'Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance', due out in the spring, will beat them all.
Highly recommended:
Transatlantic-SMPTe
Transatlantic-Live in America
Transatlantic-Bridge Across Forever
Liquid Tension Experiment 1 and 2
Spock's Beard
Flower Kings
I have the Mullmuzzer CD's but I can't get into them. I absolutely love LaBrie's voice but I feel he's a bit 'over the top' on these offerings. It's almost as if he's trying to show off instead of just putting together a great solo album.
------------------
You want to upgrade again?!!
[Edited last by Jim_C on November 18, 2001 at 12:49 AM]

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I just listened to the Commentary track on Scenes from New York DVD and it was very informative and funny. I highly recommend listening to it. They even joke about AC/DC a bit. Which is funny since they are incredibly simplistic.
There may be some things in DT's music that you may have not known about.
------------------
My Home Page:
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
By Far... Metropolis PT 2: Scenes From a Memory... Best CD. I love concept albums, and that disc has put a lot of others to shame. However, Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse is still my favorite concept album. That has nothing to do with this thread!!! Anyways, back to my favorite albums...
Scenes From A Memory
Images and Words
Falling Into Infinity
Awake
A Change of Seasons
Once in a Live Time
When Day and Dream Unite
All the LTE CDs rocked too. John Petrucci = My guitar hero. Dream Theater rocks. I can't wait for their next CD: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. 2 discs, the last CD being the 40 minute title track... HELL YEAH, can't wait 'till January 22nd!!!
------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Brad_W

Screenwriter
John Beese, why do you put Falling Into Infinity before Awake?
My personal opinion is that Awake still has that heavy edge to it plus a great instrumental. However, Falling Into Infinity is a good album, but seems to be the most "commercial."
I'm not saying your wrong in your opinion, I was just wondering your reasoning. I like to hear different opinions on my favorite band.
Edited to clarify: I like to hear GOOD different opinions on my favorite band.
wink.gif

------------------
My Home Page:
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed
[Edited last by Brad_W on November 17, 2001 at 10:05 AM]

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
My cousin gave me copies of "When Day and Dream Unite" and "Images and Words" and all I can say is WOW!
Now, I'm on a mission and I want information. I've checked out the Dream Theater Website but I want more!
Also...is Jay Beckenstein playing sax on Images and Words?
Again....WOW!
Recommendations for a Complete Newbie to the Dream Theater Experience wanted....BRING IT!

JamesKan

Grip
Here is my rating of DT's albums:

1. Images and Words

2. A Change of Seasons

3. Awake

4. Scenes from a Memory

5. When Dream and Day Unite

6. Falling into Infinity

I didn't rate the live albums.

Brad-just a quick note to tell you that, no, the 40 minute song coming by DT is not the longest song by a rock band. Edge of Sainty has an album called "Crimson", that is 1 track (song) and is just over 40 minutes. Also, a new band called Green Carnation recently put out a cd with one song called "Light of Day... Day of Darkness", and it is 64 minutes! It's one complete song with no track breaks! Finally, Fates Warning released "A Pleasant Shade of Grey", which is also one song, but divided up into 12 tracks. I'm sure there are more, but those are the only ones I can remember now.

James

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
>>Finally, Fates Warning released "A Pleasant Shade of Grey", which is also one song, but divided up into 12 tracks.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
First, let me give props to a band that had 40 minute long songs way before any of this stuff- Jethro Tull. Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play are where it's at.

By Far... Metropolis PT 2: Scenes From a Memory... Best CD. I love concept albums, and that disc has put a lot of others to shame. However, Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearse is still my favorite concept album.
Preach the gospel, brother. Scenes is my fave DT album as well. The whole "concept" thing may be gimmicky, but it's a fun gimmick. Also, I commend you on digging Opeth. I've recently discovered their stuff, too. Oh-my-god. Just amazing. However, I might consider Still Life a better concept album, but they're both so good.

In defense of Falling Into Infinity:

Unfortunately, this has become the whipping boy of DT albums. I understand why: some songs are simpler, there are a few ballads, and one could look at it and think "commercial." However, for this reason, I think it's one of their most important albums. It proves that DT are very capable of writing Songs, as most people know them. In a fair world, Peruvian Skies and Take Away My Pain would be radio hits. On the other hand, there are also two monster-length workouts on the album. It is their most varied and compelling album.

The first album of theirs I ever heard was, like most people, Images and Words. At the time, I was impressed with their skill and playing, but didn't think that much of their songs. That still, in a small way, rings true today for me. Much of the album contains great ideas, but not really put together in a coherent way. I think at the time they were still getting used to LaBrie (who was replacing another singer), so they were not yet the powerful songwriting group they would become. It's still a great album, but not one of their best IMO, simply because they went on to do better things.

Awake is when I became completely enthralled with them. Here were the same master musicians from Images, but who matured a bit and were able to come up with such great rockers as 6:00, Caught In A Web (how about that guitar/keyboard stop-start riff thingy, eh? Awesome.), and Lie, as well as smooth, sophisticated songs like Scarred and Lifting Shadows Off a Dream.

Unfortunately, by the time they released Awake, they had been labeled as "progressive metal" (yuch) and were only known for blinding solos and technicality. I have heard bands that truly do this: DT isn't one of them. However, many of their fans are only interested in this aspect of the band, and this is why Infinity gets such a bad rap.

So, my personal ranking:

1. Scenes From A Memory

2. Awake (this is very close second, and can easily be interchangeable with Scenes given my mood at any time.)

3. Images and Words (for sentimental reasons)

4. Falling Into Infinity (this is really more of a tie with Images)

5. Change of Season (Only half the album is original material, so it's not a "real" album)

6. When Dream and Day Unite (the singing and sound quality are so bad that I don't even own it, and don't really count it as a DT album).

The live stuff and the DVD is, of course, superb as well.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
While I personally feel that Falling Into Infinity is a more commercialized album, I still enjoy listening to it and agree with Mike on the (unneeded) whipping boy status of this particular album. I think that they left some of their roots when they did FII and tried a new angle (which I don't mind bands doing as long as they don't progress worse into this angle like Metallica did), but at least they did a 360 when they put out their next album (metropolis part 2).

-Brad (parenthetical boy) W.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
As much as I love SFAM, I keep going back to IAW as my slight favorite. There are a couple of drum fills in Pull Me Under and Metropolis Part 1 that rank among drumming's all-time best.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Mike Portnoy on Falling into Infinity:
The making of Falling Into Infinity in 1996 & 1997 was a very frustrating period for me because I felt alot of my “control” over the band and “vision” for the band slipping away. There were many “Powers that be” that were sticking their noses and opinions into our music and not leaving us alone with the creative side of things. There were also a few other people on the “inside” that were willing to go along with all of these suggestions which made my battle even more difficult because I didn't want to have any further internal conflicts. So at the end of the day, I rolled over and played the game as well in order to move on with our career. Go forward another year to 1998 and we are getting close to wrapping up the world tour for Falling Into Infinity and the record that we made *by the label's rules* failed to break any “new” ground for our careers...not to mention that we split ways (again!) with another management company and there were alot of ex-managers, ex-lawyers, ex-agents, etc. etc. that were making life very difficult for us. All of this added to the day to day frustrations of juggling the band and the families, and the relationships of both. I finally threw up my hands and had enough. I told the guys I had enough, wanted to leave and end the band. The guys persuaded me to stick it out for the tour and re-evaluate...which I did. The biggest factor in me staying, keeping the band together and continuing was that I/we had to completely regain control over the music and direction of the band or else it just was no longer worth the frustration.
I still like it! :)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I didn't realise the band almost collapsed. Thank goodness they're still kickin'.

I saw them perform their last concert with Derek Sherinian. It was a small "fan club" type setting which focused on acoustic songs, covers, and more mellow stuff. They played lots of stuff from Infinity and seemed to enjoy it a lot. I read interviews with the band at the time saying how they were listening to a lot of Peter Gabriel, U2, Eagles- bands that they felt wrote great songs. They were trying to tap into that with Infinity.

My guess is that they did want to cross over from being an "underground" band. I see nothing wrong with this, as long as the music is still solid. A few of the songs sound like radio singles, they made music videos, and from the above post, they were pushed in that direction by "their people."

They failed to get that cross-over recognition.

I think they just finally accepted their status as revered cult favorite. They now understand that many will hate what they do, but their fans are hardcore, and they will always have an audience for their music. With this new-found freedom, and the acquisition of a phenomenal new keyboard player who shared their musical direction, they went all-out to attempt to create an over-the-top, monster masterpiece in Scenes From A Memory.

The amazing thing is, they succeeded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bill scruggs
Recent bookmarks