Best DLP projector for under $25,000?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael FF, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Michael FF

Michael FF Stunt Coordinator

What do you consider is the best all-round DLP projector for $25,000 or less? I am particularly concerned with sharpness of focus projected on a screen of approximately 100" diag.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well, the Runco CL-710 which my comrade Robert Fawkes has is right up there and others include the crop of HD2 (mustang) DLP's like the Toshiba MT8, Infocus 7200 and Sharp 1000U.

3. David Tolsky

David Tolsky Supporting Actor

You can spend well under $25,000 and get an incredible image from a HD2 DLP. I have a ceiling mounted Marantz VP12 S2 projecting onto a Stewart Firehawk 9'wide 16 x 9 (124" diagonal) screen. It is being fed a DVI signal from a Bravo D1 DVD player scaled up to 720p. I am seeing some pretty incredible images in my home theater these days! Read Greg Rogers review of the Bravo D1 in the latest issue of Widescreen Review. It's worth a look.

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Greetings.

Dave's Marantz projector is kick ass, as is the Runco. If you really have $25000 to spend consider the runco 1000 which will provide greater light output.

Also if you really want the best picture for that price you could be able to find a CRT machine which would beat all the others at overall quality of the image.

regards

Gregg

5. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

100" diagonal isn't all that excessive.
    as the others have said you can find many HD2s for 1/2 that amount, that will handle that size with relative grace- unless you plan on sitting 12' back or closer.

Sony has a new projector that should be really promoted during CEDIA in a couple weeks
    The Qualia -not dlp, but a dlp/lcd hybrid called SXRD.
    it uses a full HD resolution panel instead of the 1/2 res panels found in the HD2s.
    pros are: very bright, smooth, detailed images
    cons: blacks levels may not be as good as the HD2 dlps (but this could change soon)
    i think street price will be around $20K

this technology is presumably going to be Sonys bid to go after and dominate the dlp market.
    eventually there will be consumer versions of SXRDs in the under $10k range (probably 4th Q of '04).

it will be interesting to see how TI responds, since Sony can usually dominate the sectors it concentrates on- and they seem to gearing up to go full bore with the SXRDs.

6. Michael FF

Michael FF Stunt Coordinator

Many thanx for all the replies/info----the fault I find with the DLP image is loss of background detail--close-ups are always stunning in visual acuity, but background suffers. (Of course, projecting HDTV images is a different matter--the backgound is almost as stunning as the foreground).