What's new

BEST DLP 50" and 60" TV'S?? (1 Viewer)

balzac

Agent
I've recently looked at buying a DLP tv, focusing on the Samsung offerings, mainly in 50". Last year's model, the 5085 seems to have most of the features I'm looking for, plus its pretty unique, but my girlfriend hates it, she says its too "bachelor's pad." The price can't be beat at $2050 delivered to my door. Besides this tv, there's also the Mitsubishi WD-52525 that I've heard has MAJOR glare issues on the screen. Besides that, the Samsung 5067 can be found for $1950 delivered to my door.

Besides these tvs, what would you guys recommend? Its for normal tv and lots of movies, which is also why I'm building the surround sound system.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
The samsung is an awesome RPTV, and can be calibrated to give dead on accurate colors.

Regards

Gregg

balzac

Agent
Greg, since it seems like you're in the know about these things, do the DLP's lose clarity with the bigger the screen you get? I mean, they all use the same "guts", but it seems as though the screen is the only thing that changes.

Would a 50" 5085 Samsung serve me better than their 60" R6167W? This is the dilemna I have right now. And also, where does the Mitsu fall into the picture as far as quality goes?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Hey balzac,

I to am looking at getting a new hd rptv and am looking at Samsung, Mitsubishi, Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic and Toshibas. If you take of the glossy cover screen on the Mitsubishi the picture is one of the best out there IMHO. That is the one thing that Mitsubishi's are well known for is there great pictures. I am going to be looking at several brands but so far its looking like it will boil down to ether a Samsung or Mitsubishi. IMHO I dont think that there is a loose of clarity from 50" to 60" screens. However thats not to say that there is not or may not be a loss in clarity between a 50" display and a 82" display. The only Mitsubishi that I was not impressed with was the 82" LCOS projection tv. I would rather have a front projection that would for the same money have a better picture on a larger sceen, IMHO.

Hope that helps. Not sure why your girlfriend would think that the Samsung looks like a batchlor pad tv
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

What does she consider to be a couples tv? Something that is got stained wood or a paticular color :laugh: Sorry thats just bizzar thinking IMHO.

balzac

Agent
The "bachelor's pad" thinking is probably because its a radical design, but my guess is beyond famale reasoning, so we'll leave it at that! Oh yeah, IT IS STILL A BACHELOR'S PAD!!!!;)

I'm really leaning towards the 5085 (last year's model with n 8.0 from cnet.com - http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_HL-P...-30898679.html ) and the Mitsu http://reviews.cnet.com/Mitsubishi_W...2.html?tag=top which also received a similar 8.0 rating. However, a friend just bought her fiancee a 60" DLP (wasn't sure of the brand) for $2200 locally, which is really awesome! I'd rather not mail order anything, especially if there's a problem.

Evan M.

Supporting Actor
If I were going DLP then I would stick with either the Samsung or the Mits. I really like the Sammy though as it has been out probably the longest so I trust that they have "mastered" DLP. The Mits is VERY nice an offers a great and bit of a brighter picture as well. To throw something else in there......check out the JVC DILA sets. I have seen the JVC, Mits and Sammy all calibrated and side by side.......the JVC was the CLEAR winner hands down. That is my eyes though so YOMV. good luck.

Dean_S

Second Unit
Gregg can probably verify this but I had Steve Martin (the calibrator, not the comedian) at my house last week to calibrate my TVs and we talked about DLPs and which ones calibrate the best. He too recommend Samsungs but only previous models (not current). The xx85, xx74, xx67 series are all last years models. He claims the current models do not completely turn off DNIe processing when you set it to "off", these olders do turn off. Apparantly the DNIe stuff is evil if you want a properly calibrated set :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks