Best DIY Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AlexKunec, Apr 27, 2004.

1. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

I was just wondering what you guys think are the best DIY speakers ever?

Thanks

2. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Could be the Linkwitz Orion.

3. DanielGM

DanielGM Stunt Coordinator

Tim,
    I am assuming you have you heard the orion's? What mainstream speakers can you compare them to? or more clearly, what's the lowest price mainstream speaker that you prefer over the orion's? I would just like to get a feel for the value of the speaker.

Thanks.

4. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

No, I haven't heard them which is why my answer was less than confident. For those that have heard them they say they're excellent. I can say that my preference for speakers has shifted to OB type. There aren't many mainstream examples but I have played around with the concept and am working on a design of my own. The best speaker I've ever heard is the Gilmore Model 2 but it's far from inexpensive. It did blow away speakers costing over twice as much. Once you've heard the sound outside the box nothing else seems to measure up. Steve Dodd has been working on some Orion clones if you're interested. The concept is discussed at length here.

5. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

I haven't heard them, but everyone who has says great things about the GR Research AV/1's. I don't think I've ever read a bad review of these speakers.

6. Brian-K-Owens

Brian-K-Owens Stunt Coordinator

7. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

Linkwitz Orion.

The open midrange is a little like a Martin-Logan, although the bass is much better integrated, the sweet spot much larger, and the high-end isn't as scattered.

Nothing matches the bass quality although it's not hard to play louder in the last octave.

I haven't heard a mainstream speaker which outperforms them at any price. Other people have found their pairs superior to the Aerial 10T ($7K), Wilson WATT/PUPPY (about $20K), and Audio Artistry Beethoven Elite ($37K). Steve Dodds owned a bunch of high-end speakers that didn't measure up to his Orion variants (MTM instead of MT, DPL12s instead of XLS10s, digital XO instead of analog, but using the same Seas Excel mid/tweeter).

If you have the 60 hours to build a pair, the $2K is well-spent. An assembled pair is still arguably a good deal at $5680 delivered without amps.

8. DanielGM

DanielGM Stunt Coordinator

Hey Drew,
    I've definitely checked out your orion site before, I didn't realize you participated here. I've got some free time and I recently acquired some tools so it looks like as soon as I come up with $2k I will have a nice summer project ahead of me.

9. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone heard of Bruce Edgars Titans? How would they compare to the Orions?