Best DIY speakers for Piano?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt D K, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Matt D K

Matt D K Stunt Coordinator

I am looking in to building a set of speakers for my disabled brother. He listens to music about 10 hours a day and was a concert pianist/organist many years back. He is very critical on piano music played back thru most speakers. Is there a speaker design out there that could address this? He has a nice sub-woofer set-up, so that shouldn't be an issue. These will go in his bedroom which is about 12' x 16' with 10' ceilings. Open to tower or bookshelf design. Would like to stay under $500 for the pair.

Thanks in advance....
    Matt

2. peter_anderson

peter_anderson Stunt Coordinator

i think gr-research.com still sells the best-bang-for-buck kits under $500 still. I grew up playing the piano and have organ players in the family and would personally build the A/V-1+ if I had the tools and space to do woodwork.

3. Al Garay

Al Garay Stunt Coordinator

Piano and female voice are two things I looked at closely when choosing the speaker kit. I listened to Darren Thomas's AV1+, with the Sonicap upgrade, they are very good. Though, for critical listening I highly recommend the Ellis Audio 1801. They are incredible. The kit start at around $540. If you are handy with woodworking tools, you can do it. It is increbibly braced. And beautiful to look at. For more information, go over to the Ellis Audio forum:
    http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/v...e0f691276cff51

And you can find long reviews in www.harmonicdiscord.com

Dave does have a demo set going across the country. You can contact him and see if you can arrange an audition. He is super to deal with. Goes out of his way to help you through the entire process. By the way, Danny Richie also goes out of his way as well and he also does have demo sets of his AV1+ available. For $300 or so, the AV1+ are darn good. You can always do the Sonicap upgrade on both of these later.

Others to consider:
    * Dennis Murphy, www.murphyblaster.com, MBOW1 kit for around $220, requires a subwoofer (Ellis 1801 bass extends flat to 40hz ... plenty)
    * Jeffrey Dillon, www.dillonacoustics.com, Ego, hard to get a review, requires a subwoofer as well
    * Dennis Murphy's Usher 2-way, this could be the best deal of all, you will need to research this in the Madisound forum... very promising, should compete with NorthCreek Borealis for 1/3 the cost.

If you have more questions, I highly recommend you also ask them in the Madisound forum. That's where many speaker designers hang out.
    http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/discuss.cgi?index

Al

4. Walt Park

Walt Park Stunt Coordinator

Danny has some av1's and a pair of criterion's going around as well. It's probably worth a try.

5. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Excellent advice from Al Garay. Thats your short list